1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A PDF formed from a multivariate function

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A probability density function, ##p\left(x\right)=\int _{-a}^a\left(f\left(x,\left(a-y\right)\right)-f\left(y,ax\right)\right)dy##, can be formed from the bivariate function ##f\left(x,y\right)=y\sqrt{\left(x-2\right)^2-y}## over the domain ##[0,b]## - where ##b## is the coordinate of the x-intercept.

(a) Determine the values of ##a## and ##b## correct to 5 decimal places
    (b) Calculate the expected value, variance and standard deviation of ##p(x)## correct to 4 decimal places
    (c) Find the percentage probability of the continuous random variable ##X## being withing ##|a|## standard deviations either side of the mean​

2. Relevant equations
    Knowledge or probability density functions, including integral applications.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I know that I need to substitute the actual values for ##f\left(x,\left(a-y\right)\right)## and ##f\left(y,ax\right)## into ##p(x)## to be able to integrate ##\int _{-a}^a\left(f\left(x,\left(a-y\right)\right)-f\left(y,ax\right)\right)dy##, and then I'd need to solve ##int_0^b p(x)dx for b and then use that to solve for a. However, when I attempt to do this on my calculator I receive and error message. Does anyone know how I could do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Which error message do you get?

4. Oct 9, 2016 #3
    I receive the message: "ERROR: Insufficient Memory"

5. Oct 10, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Maybe you can simplify the function a bit, or use a better calculator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted