1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a valid approach to finding critical values of a trig function

1. Jul 6, 2014 #1
    I was stuck for an hour trying to do this calculus 1 problem. Think I figured it out but it's a even problm.

Find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum values of f on the given interval.

f(t)=t+cot (t/2), [pie/4,7pie/4]

f'=1-(1/2) csc^2 (t/2)

So 1=1/2*csc^2 (t/2)

2=csc^2 (t/2)

For some reason I didn't know what to to do with cc squared so I applied an identity.

+/_ 1=cot (t/2)

Took arc cot on both side.

Arccot (+-1) =t/2

The arc cot gives me pie/4 and 3pie/4

So now I multiply both by 2.

So I get pie/2=t or 3pie/2=t.

Then I just plug the values in f and solve.

To see which ones are global max n min including the endpoints.

Also my question was.

Are we allowed to take the inverse cot on both sides of

Arccot (1)=arccot (cot^2 (t/2)) ?

If so how would we work with it?

I was thinking arccot1=1 and on the right side. Arccot will cancel one cot so I'm left with cot(t/2)

Now 1=cot (t/2)

Then I use pie/4 +pie (k)=t/2 and solve for solutions in the restricted interval? Is this correct

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

At this step: 2=csc^2 (t/2), I see two ways to proceed.

1) Use the identity for csc^2, remember that it is very similar to the sec^2 formula: csc^2 = 1 + cot^2. This gives 1 = cot^2(t/2).
    OR
    2) Take reciprocals. This gives 1/2 = sin^2(t/2).

Then if you are careful to include the minus sign when taking square roots, you should get 4 candidate values for t/2.

4. Jul 6, 2014 #3
    Aha. Thank you I over thought the problem.

I forgot that say sin^2 (x)=(sin x)^2.

Thanks verty.

Not will say arcsin (sin ^2 (x)) that's the same as sin x? I think I need to relearn trig equations lol

5. Jul 6, 2014 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Sorry, I didn't read the whole of your first post earlier. Arccot or arcsin won't work, the square messes them up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted