Is this a valid proof for the quad. form.

• Thread starter protonchain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Proof
In summary: However, if you are deriving it for a specific purpose, you need to make sure that your derivation is general enough to cover all cases (including for example complex roots).In summary, the conversation discusses various ways to derive the quadratic formula and concludes that a simple method is to use "completing the square". However, this method may not provide insight into how the formula was derived in the first place. A user also asks for the name of a type of proof that does not use assumptions or shortcuts, and it is determined to be "brute force". It is noted that a correct derivation is equivalent to a proof, but it may need to be generalized for all cases.
protonchain
When I was much younger (back in like middle school or freshman year in HS) I always wondered how you prove the quadratic formula, and then a couple years later I just fiddled around and came up with:

[tex] Given: ax^2 + bx + c = 0 [/tex]

[tex] (\alpha x + \beta)^2 + \delta = 0 [/tex]

[tex] (\alpha x + \beta)^2 + \delta = \alpha^2 x^2 + 2 \alpha \beta x + \beta^2 + \delta = 0[/tex]

[tex] \alpha^2 x^2 + 2 \alpha \beta x + \beta^2 + \delta = ax^2 + bx + c [/tex]

[tex] \alpha^2 = a [/tex]

[tex] 2 \alpha \beta = b [/tex]

[tex] \beta^2 + \delta = c [/tex]

so

[tex] \alpha = \sqrt{a} [/tex]

[tex] \beta = \frac{b}{2 \sqrt{a}} [/tex]

[tex] \delta = c - \frac{b^2}{4a} [/tex]

[tex] (\alpha x + \beta)^2 + \delta = 0 [/tex]

[tex] (\alpha x + \beta)^2 = -\delta [/tex]

[tex] (\alpha x + \beta) = \pm \sqrt{-\delta} [/tex]

[tex] \alpha x = -\beta \pm \sqrt{-\delta} [/tex]

[tex] x = \frac{-\beta \pm \sqrt{-\delta}}{\alpha} [/tex]

Substituting gives

[tex] x = \frac{-\frac{b}{2 \sqrt{a}} \pm \sqrt{-(c - \frac{b^2}{4a}})}{\sqrt{a}} [/tex]

[tex] x = \frac{-\frac{b}{2 \sqrt{a}} \pm \sqrt{\frac{b^2}{4a} - \frac{4ac}{4a}}}{\sqrt{a}} [/tex]

[tex] x = \frac{-\frac{b}{2 \sqrt{a}} \pm \frac{\sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2\sqrt{a}}}{\sqrt{a}} [/tex]

[tex] x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2 \sqrt{a} \sqrt{a}} [/tex]

[tex] x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2 a} [/tex]

I'm sure there's a much simpler way, I just never figured it out lol.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm very impressed. For "starting from scratch" that's very good! My only criticism is that that is perhaps more complicated than necessary.

The standard way of deriving the quadratic formula is to use "completing the square"- which is very similar to what you did.

If [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c= 0[/itex], then [itex]x^2+ (b/a)x+ (c/a)= 0[/itex].
[tex]x^2+ (b/a)x= -c/a[/tex].
[tex]x^2+ (b/a)x+ (b^2/4a)= (b^2/4a)- c/a[/tex]
[tex](x+ (b/2a))^2= (b^2/4a)- c/a= frac{b^- 4ac}{4a^2}[/tex]

Now take the square root of each side:
[tex]x+ (b/2a)= \pm\sqrt{\frac{b^2- 4ac}{4a^2}}= \pm\frac{\sqrt{b^2- 4ac}}{2a}[/itex]
[tex]x= -\frac{b}{2a}\pm\frac{\sqrt{b^2- 4ac}}{2a}= \frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2- 4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

I see, I guess mine was a bit more involved and more um... damn what's that term. I swear my mind is slipping a bit lately.

Oh well, I'll edit it in if I figure out the word. Thank you for showing me the simpler proof involving CTS

Another one, based on the hallowed principle of knowing what you want to get, goes as follows:

[tex]ax^{2}+bx+c=0[/tex]
which implies:
[tex]4a^{2}x^{2}+4axb+b^{2}+4ac=b^{2}\to(2ax+b)^{2}=b^{2}-4ac[/tex]
and so on..

The following is Al-Qwarizmi's (9th century) proof in the following case:
[tex]x^{2}+bx=c[/tex]

Now, the right-hand side can be regarded as the sum of the areas of a square with side x, and 4 rectangles with sides b/4 and x, respectively.
(That is, we may write: [tex]x^{2}+4\frac{b}{4}x=c[/tex])

If you arrange the rectangles along the 4 sides of the squares, you see that you get a figure that lacks 4 tiny squares of side length b/4 in order to get a square with side-length x+b/2

Thus, we add the areas of those squares to both sides of our equation, getting:
[tex](x+\frac{b}{2})^{2}=c+4(\frac{b}{4})^{2}[/tex]

We may now take the square root on both sides and solve for x.

It's much easier to start with the formula, put it in the form of a quadratic equation, then reverse your steps. You get a valid proof, but it doesn't give much insight into how you'd derive the quadratic formula in the first place.

Guys I know this is off-topic but what is the name of that sort of proof that doesn't use assumptions or shortcuts and goes about it in the long way (eg. like my proof up in the OP). I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the term.

Tibarn: Well the point is to prove the quadratic formula :P. We can't just directly assume it exists right at the start now can we?

protonchain said:
Guys I know this is off-topic but what is the name of that sort of proof that doesn't use assumptions or shortcuts and goes about it in the long way (eg. like my proof up in the OP). I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the term.

I'm not sure what you mean by no assumptions and shortcuts, but you may be thinking of "brute force".

Tibarn: Well the point is to prove the quadratic formula :P. We can't just directly assume it exists right at the start now can we?

No, but sometimes if the formula for something is simple enough, you'll figure it out and then you can work on proving it. A common example is to discover that 1+2+...+n=n(n+1)/2 and then prove it by induction. It wouldn't be so easy to do this with the quadratic formula though.

Tobias Funke said:
I'm not sure what you mean by no assumptions and shortcuts, but you may be thinking of "brute force".

That was it. I can't believe I couldn't think of that. My head is all into the dark ages of the universe and cosmology and it totally shoved "brute force" into archives. Thank you!

I like the discussion from Arildno (barely having read it, but a quick look suggests it has the right idea). Can a good derivation be taken as equivalent to a proof? The solution for a quadratic equation is easy to derive.

Yes, if a derivation is step by step correct, that is a proof that the formula derived is correct.

1. What is a quadratic form?

A quadratic form is a mathematical expression that is used to represent a quadratic function. It is typically written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable.

2. What does it mean for a proof to be valid?

A valid proof is one that follows logical steps and uses accepted principles and rules to arrive at a conclusion. It must be clear, concise, and free of errors in order to be considered valid.

3. How do you determine if a proof is valid for a quadratic form?

To determine if a proof is valid for a quadratic form, you must first ensure that the proof follows the correct rules and principles of mathematical logic. Then, you must check that the proof is applicable to the specific quadratic form in question and that all steps are clear and accurate.

4. Can a proof for a quadratic form be valid even if it is complicated?

Yes, a proof for a quadratic form can still be considered valid even if it is complicated. As long as the proof follows logical steps and uses accepted principles, it can be considered valid regardless of its complexity.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when evaluating the validity of a proof for a quadratic form?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when evaluating the validity of a proof for a quadratic form include using incorrect rules or principles, making errors in calculations or algebraic manipulation, and overlooking important details or assumptions. It is important to carefully review each step of the proof to ensure its accuracy and validity.