Is this all correct? (more bl dy vectors)

• Thread starter Dr Zoidburg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
I can't imagine why I wrote "4/3". I guess I just saw "1/3" and "2/3" and thought "3/3"! Thank you.
Dr Zoidburg
Is this all correct? (more bl**dy vectors!)

I hope these are right, but I have the nagging suspicion that they're not? Where have I gone wrong (if I have indeed gone wrong)?

Homework Statement

line P has equation (x+3)/2 = y = z-1
(a) Show that point Q (2,1,2) does not lie on line P.
(b) Write down the parametric equations for the line.
(c) Use dot product properties to find the co-ords of point R which is on P, such that QR is perpendicular to P.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) sub (2,1,2) into the equation:
(2+3)/2 = 1 = 2-1
5/2 = 1 = 1
they don't equal, therefore point Q does not lie on line P.
Is it that simple, or do I need to use [v(P) = (-3,0,1) + t(2,1,1)] and the parametric equations such that x=2t-3=2, y=t=1 & z=t+1=2 and attempt a solution. Here it is inconsistent.

(b) parametric equations:
x=2t-3
y=t
z=t-1

(c) dot product:
let u = (2,1,2) and v=(-3,0,1)
u.v = (2 1 2).(-3 0 1) |i 2 -3 |
= det |j 1 0 | = i - 8j + 3k
|k 2 1 |
point R = (1, -8, 3).
again, I feel I've skipped a step here, but it's 11.30pm and I'm too tired to think any further!

many thanks in advance! I'll be checking again in the am.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Zoidburg said:
I hope these are right, but I have the nagging suspicion that they're not? Where have I gone wrong (if I have indeed gone wrong)?

Homework Statement

line P has equation (x+3)/2 = y = z-1
(a) Show that point Q (2,1,2) does not lie on line P.
(b) Write down the parametric equations for the line.
(c) Use dot product properties to find the co-ords of point R which is on P, such that QR is perpendicular to P.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) sub (2,1,2) into the equation:
(2+3)/2 = 1 = 2-1
5/2 = 1 = 1
they don't equal, therefore point Q does not lie on line P.
Is it that simple, or do I need to use [v(P) = (-3,0,1) + t(2,1,1)] and the parametric equations such that x=2t-3=2, y=t=1 & z=t+1=2 and attempt a solution. Here it is inconsistent.
Yes, it really is that simple!

(b) parametric equations:
x=2t-3
y=t
z=t-1
I presume you just set (x+3)/2 = y = z-1= t. Yes, that's correct.

(c) dot product

let u = (2,1,2) and v=(-3,0,1)
u.v = (2 1 2).(-3 0 1) |i 2 -3 |
= det |j 1 0 | = i - 8j + 3k
|k 2 1 |
point R = (1, -8, 3).
again, I feel I've skipped a step here, but it's 11.30pm and I'm too tired to think any further!
u= (2 1 2) is the "position vector" of Q but where did you get (-3 0 1)? It is NOT the direction vector of P, which is (2, 1, 1). It is the position vector of a point on the line (when t= 0) but that is pretty much an arbitrary vector. In fact, it is easy to check that you "R" does not even satisfy the equations to lie on P!

I would have done this differently. Let R be the point (x, y, z)= (2t- 3, t, t-1), on P. Then the vector from Q to R is given by (2t-3- 2, t- 1, t-1- 2)= (2t- 5, t-1, t- 3). The line from R to Q will be perpendicular to P as long as that vector is perpendicular to the direction vector of P: we must have (2t-5, t-1, t-3)[itex]\cdot[/itex](2, 1, 1)= 0. That gives 4t- 10+ t- 1+ t- 3= 0 or 6t= 14. t= 14/6= 7/3. Putting that back into the equations for R, R= (5/3, 7/3, 4/3).

As a check on the arithmetic, the vector from Q to R is (4/3- 2, 7/3- 1, 4/3- 2)= (-1/3, 4/3, -2/3). It's dot product with (2, 1, 1) is -2/3+ 4/3- 2/3= 0.

many thanks in advance! I'll be checking again in the am.

thanks a lot for that.
I have this problem of always thinking the solution has to be more complex than it appears to be!
I really must go out and buy another Occam's razor. Mine's obviously too blunt and ain't working as well as it should.

HallsofIvy said:
Putting that back into the equations for R, R= (5/3, 7/3, 4/3).

As a check on the arithmetic, the vector from Q to R is (4/3- 2, 7/3- 1, 4/3- 2)= (-1/3, 4/3, -2/3). It's dot product with (2, 1, 1) is -2/3+ 4/3- 2/3= 0.
very minor quibble here: shouldn't that 4/3 be 5/3 ? :wink:

Yes, of course it should.

1. Is the data presented in the correct format?

The format of the data is essential in scientific research as it allows for accurate analysis and interpretation. It is crucial to follow the specific guidelines and standards set for the particular field of study.

2. Are all the variables and factors accounted for in the analysis?

In scientific research, it is essential to account for all variables and factors that may influence the results. This includes controlling for any potential confounding variables and ensuring that all relevant variables are included in the analysis.

3. Have any statistical tests been conducted to support the findings?

Statistical tests are crucial in scientific research as they help determine the significance and reliability of the results. It is important to use appropriate statistical methods and clearly present the results to support the findings.

4. Are there any potential biases in the data collection or analysis?

Biases can significantly impact the validity of research findings. It is important to acknowledge and address any potential biases in the data collection or analysis to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results.

5. Have the results been replicated or validated by other studies?

Replication and validation of results are fundamental aspects of the scientific method. It is essential to have independent studies replicate or validate the findings to ensure the reliability and generalizability of the results.