Is this another statically indeterminate structure?

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a statically indeterminate structure with an image provided. The original poster asks for help in solving the question and a solution is provided by another user, with the final answer being 292.1 N. The conversation also includes a discussion about finding all external forces and ensuring equilibrium, with the final confirmation that the answer is correct.
darkdream
Is this another statically indeterminate structure? (urgent)

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__d7SU8yZ6pk/S4JApel7HdI/AAAAAAAAAKo/NhmSNIOxNik/s1600-h/IBq4.jpg[URL="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__d7SU8yZ6pk/S4JApel7HdI/AAAAAAAAAKo/NhmSNIOxNik/s1600-h/IBq4.jpg"]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__d7SU8yZ6pk/S4JApel7HdI/AAAAAAAAAKo/NhmSNIOxNik/s1600-h/IBq4.jpg[/URL]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I interpret the question as a statically indeterminate structure. Am I correct? if not how to solve this question?

Thank you very much for your help! =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

after considerin the 2 force members connected to the "ruler", i realize its no longer indeterminate.

I resolved the reaction at B using moments at the intersection of tension and the force by de member.

And solve the tension to be 292.1 N.

(Question solved)

Last edited:

the intersection of which tension? The vertical one holding the 2000 N weight, or the inclined one at B? Or force FG?

FG and DE. note that DE is a 2 force member. hence the forces involved with it is horizontal.

I don't think you can claim 'question solved' until you have found ALL the external forces and checked they are in equilibrium up down and rotational. There's many a slip. I do get a different answer to you.

what do you have?

darkdream: Excellent work. Your answer is correct.

thanks alot! =) nvn

1. What is a statically indeterminate structure?

A statically indeterminate structure is a type of structure that cannot be fully analyzed using basic equations of statics. This means that the internal forces and reactions of the structure cannot be determined by simply applying the equations of equilibrium.

2. How do you know if a structure is statically indeterminate?

A structure is considered statically indeterminate when it has more unknown forces than the number of available equations of equilibrium. This can be determined by counting the number of unknown reactions and comparing it to the number of equations of equilibrium (3 for 2D structures and 6 for 3D structures).

3. What are the implications of a structure being statically indeterminate?

A statically indeterminate structure requires more advanced methods, such as the method of virtual work or the slope-deflection method, to analyze. It also means that the internal forces and reactions cannot be determined by simply breaking the structure down into smaller parts.

4. How can statically indeterminate structures be solved?

Statically indeterminate structures can be solved using methods such as the method of virtual work, the slope-deflection method, or the moment distribution method. These methods involve creating additional equations to solve for the unknown forces and reactions in the structure.

5. Are statically indeterminate structures common in real-life structures?

Yes, statically indeterminate structures are common in real-life structures. Many modern structures, such as bridges and high-rise buildings, are designed with intentional redundancy to improve their strength and stability, making them statically indeterminate.