Mechanics of materials: Statically Indeterminate member

In summary, the problem involves finding the reactions at the ends of a bar and the deflection at point C. The equations used are RA + RE = 115kN and ##\delta##Total = ##\sum## (PiLi)/(AiEi). The solution involves dividing the bar into four elements and using the superposition method to find the total deflection. From there, the tension in each segment is calculated and used to determine the individual deflections. The final deflection at point C is found by using the calculated values for tension and length.
fayan77

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 3.42.01 PM.png
Find reactions at ends and deflection at C

Homework Equations

RA + RE = 115kN
##\delta##Total = ##\sum## (PiLi)/(AiEi)

The Attempt at a Solution

RA + RE = 115kN
Then apply superposition: (Get rid of RE) divide whole member into 4 elements and add.
##\delta##Total = ##\delta##RE for steel and another for aluminum ...Solve for RE
Then 115kN-RE=RA

Deflection at C
Assuming the above is correct

##\delta##C = (RAL)/AE

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 3.42.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 3.42.01 PM.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 849
Physics news on Phys.org
fayan77 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 220492 Find reactions at ends and deflection at C

Homework Equations

RA + RE = 115kN

The Attempt at a Solution

RA + RE = 115kN
Then apply superposition: (Get rid of RE) divide whole member into 4 elements and add.
##\delta##Total = ##\delta##RE for steel and another for aluminum ...Solve for RE
Then 115kN-RE=RA

Deflection at C
Assuming the above is correct

##\delta##C = (RAL)/AE
Much of this looks correct, but I'm not sure if all of it is. Can you provide the detailed calculations? I would have set this analysis up a little differently.

when dividing element into 4 section I mean DE, CD, BC, AB (assuming RE is not there)
##\delta##DE = 0 because there is no force affecting that area
##\delta##CD = [(40000)(.1)]/[(##\pi##/4)(.03)2(E)]
##\delta##BC = [(40000)(.12)]/[(##\pi##/4)(.04)2(E)]
##\delta##AB = [(115000)(.18)]/[(##\pi##/4)(.04)2(E)]
After adding the deltas = ##\delta##Total, I equate it to the elongation caused by RE...
##\delta##Total = ##\delta##RE = [RE(.2)]/[(##\pi##/4)(.03)2(E)] + [RE(.3)]/[(##\pi##/4)(.04)2(E)]
I solve for RE = 40kN Therefore RA = 75kN
Assuming that is correct I then
##\delta##C = [(75000)(.3)]/[(##\pi##/4)(.04)2(E)]

I'm not able to follow what you did, but I don't think this is correct. Here is how I would have done it.

Let ##R_A## be the tension in the bar at A. Then to the left of P1, the tension is ##R_A##. In the section to the right of ##P_1##, but to the left of ##P_2##, the tension is ##R_A-P_1##. And, in the section to the right of ##P_2##, the tension is ##R_A-P_1-P_2##. So, the changes in length of the various sections are:
$$\delta_{AB}=\frac{R_AL_{AB}}{E_SA_S}$$
$$\delta_{BC}=\frac{(R_A-P_1)L_{BC}}{E_SA_S}$$
$$\delta_{CD}=\frac{(R_A-P_1)L_{CD}}{E_BA_B}$$
$$\delta_{DE}=\frac{(R_A-P_1-P_2)L_{DE}}{E_BA_B}$$
The sum of these length changes must be equal to zero, since the total length of the bar is constrained. So,
$$\frac{R_AL_{AB}}{E_SA_S}+\frac{(R_A-P_1)L_{BC}}{E_SA_S}+\frac{(R_A-P_1)L_{CD}}{E_BA_B}+\frac{(R_A-P_1-P_2)L_{DE}}{E_BA_B}=0$$
or equivalently
$$R_A\left[\frac{L_{AB}}{E_SA_S}+\frac{L_{BC}}{E_SA_S}+\frac{L_{CD}}{E_BA_B}+\frac{L_{DE}}{E_BA_B}\right]=\frac{P_1L_{BC}}{E_SA_S}+\frac{P_1L_{CD}}{E_BA_B}+\frac{(P_1+P_2)L_{DE}}{E_BA_B}$$
This is solved for ##R_A##

I solved it for RE which would be,

##R_E\left[\frac{L_{AB}}{E_SA_S}+\frac{L_{BC}}{E_SA_S}+\frac{L_{CD}}{E_BA_B}+\frac{L_{DE}}{E_BA_B}\right]=\frac{P_2L_{BC}}{E_SA_S}+\frac{P_2L_{CD}}{E_BA_B}+\frac{(P_1+P_2)L_{AB}}{E_SA_S}##

This is what I got when solving for RE

OK. But, you know that RE is compressive (negative tensile) and RA is tensile, correct?

Your result for ##\delta_C## is not correct. The tensile stress is equal to RA only up to the location of P1. Between there and the location of P2, the tension is essentially zero. So you would only be using 180 mm in the calculation of RA, not 300 mm

Yes, I got it my set up is correct it was just computational error, this was driving me nuts. Anyways, ##\delta_B## I'm having trouble with. Is it acceptable to draw a free body diagram of only that element and have Ra pointing to the left, and P1 to the right this divides it into 2 elements

##\delta_B## = [RALAB] / [AE] or [(RA-75)LAB] / [AE]

fayan77 said:
Yes, I got it my set up is correct it was just computational error, this was driving me nuts. Anyways, ##\delta_B## I'm having trouble with. Is it acceptable to draw a free body diagram of only that element and have Ra pointing to the left, and P1 to the right this divides it into 2 elements

##\delta_B## = [RALAB] / [AE] or [(RA-75)LAB] / [AE]
What you do to get this right is first to determine the tension (or compression) in each of the 4 segments. Then you calculate how much each segment stretches (or compresses).

What is the tension in segment AB? How much does this segment increase in length?
What is the tension in segment BC? How much does this segment increase in length?
What is the tension in segment CD? How much does this segment increase in length?
What is the tension in segment DE? How much does this segment increase (or decrease) in length?

I thought I could just consider element AC

I understand that ##\delta_C## = ##\delta##AB + ##\delta##BC

But I do not know what forces are acting on each element

fayan77 said:
I thought I could just consider element AC

I understand that ##\delta_C## = ##\delta##AB + ##\delta##BC

But I do not know what forces are acting on each element
Are you aware that the tensions in the 4 segments are not equal? There is a jump change in tension on each side of the concentrated loads. To get the tension on a segment, you cut the segment in the middle and do a force balance on the entire part of the bar between either end and the location where the cut was made. If you do this to get the tension in segment AB, you find that it is 75 kN. Do you see how I got this value? Can you do the same kind of force balance to get the tensions in the other segments?

Last edited:
Do you get 75kN and section AB because RA=75kN? so there is no tension force in Section AB? There is a 40kN force in CD? And no force in section DE?

fayan77 said:
Do you get 75kN and section AB because RA=75kN? so there is no tension force in Section AB? There is a 40kN force in CD? And no force in section DE?
No. But, you're on the right track. Your tension of 75kN in AB is correct, and your tension force of 0 in BC (I think you meant BC in your post, not AB) is also correct. But the tension in CD is likewise 0, and the tension in DE is -40 kN (i.e., section DE is under compression). So, in this particular (and peculiar) problem, section AB stretches, and section DE compresses by an equal amount. Sections BC and CD do not change in length.

I feel like this one is in the same category. I have only the data shown, no E, no d. I need to find the P1, P2 loads purely from stiffness considerations. Obviously P1 + P2 = 10000 but what outside equation or field of knowledge can I use to get a second equation from which I can help to solve this first equation?
Thanks for your help,
Michael

Attachments

• bolt_problem_stiffness.png
    bolt_problem_stiffness.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 364
Please start this in a new thread, and please provide the exact statement of the problem,...and please use the homework template.

1. What is a statically indeterminate member?

A statically indeterminate member is a structural element that cannot be fully analyzed using equations of equilibrium alone. This is because there are more unknown forces than there are equations of equilibrium available to solve for them.

2. How do you determine the reactions and internal forces in a statically indeterminate member?

You can use methods such as the slope-deflection method, moment distribution method, or the method of consistent deformations to solve for the unknown reactions and internal forces in a statically indeterminate member.

3. What is the significance of a statically indeterminate member in structural analysis?

Statically indeterminate members are common in real-world structures, and their analysis is essential in ensuring the safety and stability of the structure. By understanding the behavior of these members, engineers can design better and more efficient structures.

4. How does a change in support conditions affect the analysis of a statically indeterminate member?

A change in support conditions can change the degree of static indeterminacy of a member, making it more or less difficult to solve. For example, adding a roller support can make a member statically determinate, while adding a fixed support can make it more statically indeterminate.

5. Can a statically indeterminate member be analyzed using the equations of equilibrium alone?

No, a statically indeterminate member cannot be fully analyzed using only the equations of equilibrium. Additional methods, such as the ones mentioned in question 2, must be used to solve for the unknown reactions and internal forces.