Is this considered a 'pure math' major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the content of a 'pure' math major and whether certain classes, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, are considered part of it. It also explores the difference between an engineering or physics major, and whether they are considered 'applied' mathematics. The conversation also mentions a specific university and its curriculum for a math major, including technical electives, upper division math electives, and a senior thesis. It is noted that the university is focused on STEM fields and accredited. The conversation also touches on the differences in math education between the US and the UK, with the possibility of starting proof-heavy courses in the first year of college. Lastly, the conversation mentions the individual's personal experience with math
imull
Is it considered a 'pure' math major if classes like calc 1-3, diff eq, linear algebra, analysis, and discrete maths are a part of the major? If so, would an engineering or physics major be considered 'applied' mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused by what you mean, engineers and physics majors will take near all those classes.

Some schools will offer different undergrad series for science majors and a proof heavy series for math majors.

The classes that you list however, again, say nothing about the major.

http://mathematics.wvutech.edu/curriculum/classic_track
There's a link to the major.

Kind of sucks you'd be doing GE your senior year, other then that you have what five technical electives, two upper division math electives, senior thesis. I'm not sure what math for citizenship is, but it's senior level. The school itself is a STEM focused public school that is accredited.

I would say you'd probably be able to do "pure" math there, but it seems more focused on engineering and computation.

I'm not a math major, so maybe some math majors would be able to help you out more. Call the school too.

That looks like pure math, real analysis are proof heavy courses as is Intro to Alg. Structures, which looks like introduction to abstract algebra, the real difference however is what you choose for your electives.

This http://techregistrar.wvutech.edu/r/download/132496 seems to describe the courses.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you so much for finding that, MathWarrior! It is very helpful.

I don't know what the state of math education in the US is like these days, but when I did a math degree in the UK, we had the equivalent of those M341, 451 and 452 courses starting on the first day of year one.

AlephZero said:
I don't know what the state of math education in the US is like these days, but when I did a math degree in the UK, we had the equivalent of those M341, 451 and 452 courses starting on the first day of year one.

You also went to Cambridge and probably had a thorough calculus foundation in high school. I don't know what they teach at that level in the US anymore, but they generally just require two semesters of elementary algebra. If they do offer AP calculus classes its mostly just a crash course in calculus one, I didn't have that option at my school at all.

Again I've been out of high school for a while, but it's pretty typical to do the calculus series freshman year of college.

We never did any proof math, or trig even in HS. It may have been the same for you and Cambridge just throws you into the deep end of the pool, but I don't know the UK system at all either.

Student100 said:
If they do offer AP calculus classes its mostly just a crash course in calculus one, I didn't have that option at my school at all.

AP Calc BC covers calc 1 and calc 2. My high school, amongst many others in the US, also offered calc 3, ODEs, and LA.

Student100 said:
Again I've been out of high school for a while, but it's pretty typical to do the calculus series freshman year of college.

This is true but it is also up to the student to decide how rigorous a calculus class he/she wants to take. Proof based freshman honors calculus courses are offered by many universities in the US and these are basically stepping stones into real analysis. Schools like UChicago also actively allow students to take honors real analysis their first year.

WannabeNewton said:
AP Calc BC covers calc 1 and calc 2. My high school, amongst many others in the US, also offered calc 3, ODEs, and LA.

Interesting, so it isn't like I had imagined were everything that is taught in high school is only what's relevant for standardization exams.

I went to a rural school, with 45 graduating seniors my final year. This probably also played a major role in what was available.

This is true but it is also up to the student to decide how rigorous a calculus class he/she wants to take. Proof based freshman honors calculus courses are offered by many universities in the US and these are basically stepping stones into real analysis. Schools like UChicago also actively allow students to take honors real analysis their first year.

This is relevant and useful for the OP in deciding where they should study.
To the OP: was WVU your number one option, If so why?

Student100 said:
Interesting, so it isn't like I had imagined were everything that is taught in high school is only what's relevant for standardization exams.

I would be lying if I said most of it isn't taught like that though :)

Student100 said:
I went to a rural school, with 45 graduating seniors my final year. This probably also played a major role in what was available.

I would imagine that had major influence. I went to a relatively big science based school (~700 kids in my graduating year).

Yes it was my number one option. It is in state (lower tuition), a small school (1000-1500), and WV high school students with an overall 3.0 gpa by the end of their senior year get Promise Scholarship ($4700 per year for 4 years). I wanted a small school because it is what I am used to. Also, the college classes that I am taking right now and next semester (Calc 1 and 2, College English 1 and 2, Psych, and Euro History) transfer because they are taught by a local college that is part of WVU.

1. What is a 'pure math' major?

A 'pure math' major is a degree program that focuses solely on the study of mathematics. It does not include any applied or interdisciplinary aspects, but rather delves deeply into the theoretical foundations and principles of math.

2. How is a 'pure math' major different from a regular math major?

A 'pure math' major is more theoretical and abstract than a regular math major, which may include applied or interdisciplinary courses. It is also more focused on the fundamental principles and concepts of math, rather than practical applications.

3. What kind of career opportunities are available for 'pure math' majors?

'Pure math' majors can pursue careers in academia, research, and industry. Some common job titles include mathematician, statistician, data scientist, and actuary.

4. Is a strong background in math required for a 'pure math' major?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is necessary for success in a 'pure math' major. Students should have a strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra before starting this program.

5. Can a 'pure math' major be combined with other disciplines?

Yes, many universities offer the option to combine a 'pure math' major with another major, such as computer science, physics, or economics. This can provide a more well-rounded education and open up more career opportunities.