Is this correct converting (I am confuse)

• Thread starter BunDa4Th
  • Start date
In summary, the temperature difference between the inside and outside of an automobile engine is 460 degrees Celsius. To express this difference on the Fahrenheit scale, use the formula Tf = 9/5Tc + 32, which gives an answer of 810 degrees Fahrenheit. To express it on the Kelvin scale, simply use the same value without adding 273.15, giving an answer of 460 Kelvin. Some confusion may have arisen due to the question asking for the difference in temperature, not the actual temperature itself.
BunDa4Th

Homework Statement

The temperature difference between the inside and the outside of an automobile engine is 460 C°.

a) Express this temperature difference on the Fahrenheit scale.

b) Express this temperature difference on the Kelvin scale.

Homework Equations

T_F = 9/5T_c + 32
T_K = T_c + 273.15

The Attempt at a Solution

a) i got 860
b) i got 733.15

why is it marking this incorrect what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you have the right amount of significant figures? maybe it asks for 4 or just 3

im pretty sure I am using the right significant figure since from C to F it gave 860 exact and to convert C to K its basically adding 273.15 i believe. it say my answer is 10%-100% differ to the correct answer.

460 degrees celcius seems a bit high. Are you sure it's not 46.0 degrees celcius?

Yea, I am pretty sure its 460 degrees celcius since i did a direct copy and paste.

Hey soo the answer would be 450 k and 810 F
Tf = 9/5*450 C
=810 F
Kelvin = Celcius hence 450C =450K temp differences are the same change is constant

Since you're expressing a difference in temperature, madhiab would be right in saying that only the the factor difference should be important. So the change in temperature in Kalvin would be exactly the same as the temperature difference in degrees Celsius. However, use the same factor you used above without changing the initial value (notice it only asks for a change) to convert to fahrenheit.

the question is DIFFERENCE in temp. therefore the +273.15 is not needed, as that would be the Teperature of an object at 460C. Fahrenheit i have no idea as i use metric. also since kelvin interval = celcius interval therefore no need to convert (for diff in temperature).

1. Is there a standard process for converting units?

Yes, there are standard conversion factors that are used to convert between different units. These factors are based on established relationships between different units and are widely accepted in the scientific community.

2. How do I know if I am converting correctly?

You can check your conversion by using the conversion factor and multiplying it by the original value. This should result in the equivalent value in the new unit. Additionally, you can consult conversion charts or use online conversion calculators for accuracy.

3. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when converting units?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include using the wrong conversion factor, forgetting to convert units that are not included in the conversion factor, and rounding off too early in the conversion process. It is also important to pay attention to the units and ensure they are converted correctly.

4. Can I convert between any units?

No, not all units can be converted directly using a conversion factor. Some units may require multiple steps or conversion factors to arrive at the desired unit. It is important to research and understand the relationships between different units before attempting to convert.

5. How can I convert units if I am unsure of the conversion factor?

If you are unsure of the conversion factor, you can use dimensional analysis to determine the relationship between the two units. This involves canceling out units and rearranging them until the desired unit is reached. However, it is recommended to use established conversion factors for accuracy and efficiency.