1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Heat and calorimeter] I can't get the correct answer

1. Jun 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey there guys, first of all English is not my main language so it will be a little hard for me to say things in english. I am dutch native speaker so I will translate most of the things in english using google translator. I hope you guys are okay with that.

Task :
    One wants the heat capacity of a calorimeter. It does so by one in the empty calorimeter, which has a temperature of 19.3 °C, 50 grams of benzene with a temperature of 13, 5 °C is added. This drops the temperature of the calorimeter to 15, 9 °C.
    a)Calculate the value of the heat capacity of this calormeter.
    b)Directly after this (the temperature of the calorimeter is still 15.9 °C), a Platinum bullet is added, which has a mass of 15.0 gram, in the calorimeter. This platinum ball has been kept in a glass flame beforehand; the temperature of the calorimeter runs to 23.7 °C . determine the temperature of the gas flame.

Okay, I had no problem answering a.
    Now I did the same thing in b, but my answer does not match the one from my book. I tried to look if I missed any ##-## or ##+## sign , but still no luck. I even checked whether I filled the wrong number or not, and to me it seems that everything is correct. The Answer should be 604 °C , but I keep getting below 604 °C. I just want to know if I am doing something wrong or maybe the book answer could be wrong.

2. Relevant equations
    ##Q = m.c. \bigtriangleup T##
    ##Q = C .ΔT##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've uploaded 2 pictures of the calculations I did.
    According to my book the answer I got for a is correct.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2017 #2
    I don't follow your algebra. Where did the 2 come from?

4. Jun 17, 2017 #3
    ##15 × 0,13(Tend - Tbegin)##
    Tend is given which = 23,7 °C
    So it will be ##15 × 0,13(23,7 - Tbegin)##
    ##15 × 0,13 = 1,95##
    ##1,95(23,7 - Tbegin) = 46,22 - 1,95T##

5. Jun 17, 2017 #4
    (468+667)/(1.95 )+ 23.7= ??

6. Jun 17, 2017 #5
    Well the answer = 605,7 , but I'm still confused why you did ##+ 23,7## and not ##+46,22##

7. Jun 17, 2017 #6
    I'm on my iPhone now, so it's hard to do equations. I'll get back with you later when I have my computer. But basically, the heat gained by the benzene and calorimeter is equal to the heat list by the bullet.

8. Jun 17, 2017 #7
    Heat removed from bullet = ##1.95(T-23.7)##. So, $$468+667=1.95(T-23.7)$$

9. Jun 17, 2017 #8
    Ah that explains it, thank you sir for your help. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted