[Heat and calorimeter] I can't get the correct answer

• Thread starter Waffle24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calorimeter
In summary, the heat capacity of the calorimeter is 15 joules per degree Celsius. The heat capacity of the calorimeter after the addition of the platinum bullet is 16.5 joules per degree Celsius. The temperature of the gas flame is 605.7 degrees Celsius.
Waffle24

Homework Statement

Hey there guys, first of all English is not my main language so it will be a little hard for me to say things in english. I am dutch native speaker so I will translate most of the things in english using google translator. I hope you guys are okay with that.

Task :
One wants the heat capacity of a calorimeter. It does so by one in the empty calorimeter, which has a temperature of 19.3 °C, 50 grams of benzene with a temperature of 13, 5 °C is added. This drops the temperature of the calorimeter to 15, 9 °C.
a)Calculate the value of the heat capacity of this calormeter.
b)Directly after this (the temperature of the calorimeter is still 15.9 °C), a Platinum bullet is added, which has a mass of 15.0 gram, in the calorimeter. This platinum ball has been kept in a glass flame beforehand; the temperature of the calorimeter runs to 23.7 °C . determine the temperature of the gas flame.

Okay, I had no problem answering a.
Now I did the same thing in b, but my answer does not match the one from my book. I tried to look if I missed any ##-## or ##+## sign , but still no luck. I even checked whether I filled the wrong number or not, and to me it seems that everything is correct. The Answer should be 604 °C , but I keep getting below 604 °C. I just want to know if I am doing something wrong or maybe the book answer could be wrong.

Homework Equations

##Q = m.c. \bigtriangleup T##
##Q = C .ΔT##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've uploaded 2 pictures of the calculations I did.
According to my book the answer I got for a is correct.

Attachments

• 20170617_131215[1].jpg
    20170617_131215[1].jpg
    20 KB · Views: 389
  • 20170617_132229[1].jpg
    20170617_132229[1].jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
SuriAttacker said:

Homework Statement

Hey there guys, first of all English is not my main language so it will be a little hard for me to say things in english. I am dutch native speaker so I will translate most of the things in english using google translator. I hope you guys are okay with
Task :
One wants the heat capacity of a calorimeter. It does so by one in the empty calorimeter, which has a temperature of 19.3 °C, 50 grams of benzene with a temperature of 13, 5 °C is added. This drops the temperature of the calorimeter to 15, 9 °C.
a)Calculate the value of the heat capacity of this calormeter.
b)Directly after this (the temperature of the calorimeter is still 15.9 °C), a Platinum bullet is added, which has a mass of 15.0 gram, in the calorimeter. This platinum ball has been kept in a glass flame beforehand; the temperature of the calorimeter runs to 23.7 °C . determine the temperature of the gas flame.

Okay, I had no problem answering a.
Now I did the same thing in b, but my answer does not match the one from my book. I tried to look if I missed any ##-## or ##+## sign , but still no luck. I even checked whether I filled the wrong number or not, and to me it seems that everything is correct. The Answer should be 604 °C , but I keep getting below 604 °C. I just want to know if I am doing something wrong or maybe the book answer could be wrong.

Homework Equations

##Q = m.c. \bigtriangleup T##
##Q = C .ΔT##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've uploaded 2 pictures of the calculations I did.
According to my book the answer I got for a is correct.
I don't follow your algebra. Where did the 2 come from?

Chestermiller said:
I don't follow your algebra. Where did the 2 come from?
##15 × 0,13(Tend - Tbegin)##
Tend is given which = 23,7 °C
So it will be ##15 × 0,13(23,7 - Tbegin)##
##15 × 0,13 = 1,95##
##1,95(23,7 - Tbegin) = 46,22 - 1,95T##

(468+667)/(1.95 )+ 23.7= ??

Chestermiller said:
(468+667)/(1.95 )+ 23.7= ??
Well the answer = 605,7 , but I'm still confused why you did ##+ 23,7## and not ##+46,22##

I'm on my iPhone now, so it's hard to do equations. I'll get back with you later when I have my computer. But basically, the heat gained by the benzene and calorimeter is equal to the heat list by the bullet.

Heat removed from bullet = ##1.95(T-23.7)##. So, $$468+667=1.95(T-23.7)$$

Likes Waffle24
Ah that explains it, thank you sir for your help. :smile:

Why is my calorimeter not giving me the correct answer?

There could be several reasons for this. First, make sure you are using the correct units and conversions in your calculations. Also, check to see if there are any sources of error, such as heat loss or gain from the surroundings. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct values for specific heat capacity and initial and final temperatures.

How can I improve the accuracy of my calorimeter measurements?

To improve accuracy, you can minimize sources of error by insulating the calorimeter and using a lid to prevent heat loss or gain from the surroundings. You can also repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results. Additionally, using a digital thermometer with a higher precision can also improve accuracy.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. In other words, heat is the transfer of energy, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat.

How does a calorimeter work?

A calorimeter is a device used to measure the heat released or absorbed in a chemical reaction. It consists of an insulated container, usually made of a material with a low heat capacity, and a thermometer to measure the temperature change of the substances inside. By measuring the temperature change and using the specific heat capacity of the substances, the amount of heat released or absorbed can be calculated.

What are some common applications of calorimetry?

Calorimetry has many applications in various fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in studying chemical reactions, determining the energy content of food, and measuring the specific heat capacity of materials. It is also used in industries such as food processing, power plants, and pharmaceuticals to monitor and control processes that involve heat transfer.