1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this correct? (eigenfunctions)

1. Jun 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) Show that the functions [tex]f=sin(ax)[/tex] and [tex]g=cos(ax)[/tex] are eigenfunctions of the operator [tex]\hat{A}=\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex].

b) What are their corresponding eigenvalues?

c)For what values of [tex]a[/tex] are these two eigenfunctions orthogonal?

d) For [tex]a=\frac{1}{3}[/tex] construct a linear operator of [tex]f[/tex] and [tex]g[/tex] which is orthogonal to [tex]f[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a) [tex]\hat{A}f=\frac{d^2}{dx^2}sin(ax)=-a^2sin(ax)[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{A}g=\frac{d^2}{dx^2}cos(ax)=-a^2cos(ax)[/tex]

b) the eigenvalues are [tex]-a^2[/tex]

c)orthogonality condition is: [tex]\int f^*gdx=0[/tex]

so to satisfy the above condition [tex]a[/tex] would have to be [tex]\pm\frac{n\pi}{2} \pm\n\pi[/tex] where [tex]n=\pm1,\pm2,\pm3....[/tex]

d) I have no clue how to do this one.. Any help???

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay.

Okay.

Integrated over what interval?

so to satisfy the above condition [tex]a[/tex] would have to be [tex]\pm\frac{n\pi}{2} \pm\n\pi[/tex] where [tex]n=\pm1,\pm2,\pm3....[/tex][/quote]
    How did you get that?

What does it mean for a linear functional be be orthogonal to a (function). For that matter why are they asking for a linear operator of f and g? Why not just a linear operator on the set of function f and g belong to?

4. Jun 24, 2009 #3
    For part c) the integral is performed under all space.

When you write out the integral, the integrand is [tex][sin(\frac{x}{3})]^*cos(\frac{x}{3})[/tex] with a constant on the outside of the integral. Now for this to be 0. X would have to be those values that I wrote in my previous post. Does this seem right?

and for part d) I believe what they are asking is to make a new function (the linear combination of {f and g}) that will then be orthogonal to f. Using the above orthogonality relation. I am not to sure how to construct the linear combination though..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook