Is this Linear Accelerator Design Valid?

In summary, an individual is trying to create an anti-matter device using a linear accelerator and Van de Graff generators. The goal is to produce positrons in the target.
Invictos
Good Evening Everyone,

A group of friends and I were having a mini-contest, to see who could theoretically make anti-matter using the most simplistic design in terms of cost and general complexity. The obvious choice for us was the Positron, due to low energy requirements on all fronts. One of us came across this idea, and we aren't sure if it would work or not... could somebody confirm either way?

Essentially, the idea is to use a linear accelerator, but instead of using radio waves (which would be difficult to do on a budget), using Van de Graff generators of decreasing size, in effect causing the difference potential to be the driving force. Multiple generators are there to ensure the beam goes where it should.

Another way to describe it is as a Cockcroft Walton Accelerator, but instead of using transformers and capacitors, this uses Van de Graff generators for its electrons - It's hard to describe, see attached for a better image...

Thoughts? Could this rag-tag machine produce positrons? How would you go about designing a low-cost positron maker?

Feel free to ask any questions, this was a rough description,
Yours in Science,
Invicto

Attachments

• Rough Sketch.png
    Rough Sketch.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 624
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you got a bit confused here.

None of these are positron SOURCES. What you are "designing" is an accelerating device, which will be for either electrons or positrons. These devices produce the accelerating field gradients. They don't create positrons, or electrons for that matter.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I think that you got a bit confused here.

None of these are positron SOURCES. What you are "designing" is an accelerating device, which will be for either electrons or positrons. These devices produce the accelerating field gradients. They don't create positrons, or electrons for that matter.

Zz.
I think the goal is to produce positrons (and electrons) in the target.

A few high-resistance resistors would allow to get intermediate voltages for acceleration, and I would not expect magnets to help much here. I'm not sure if you need that at all if you get a reasonable beam from the electron source.

1. What is a linear accelerator?

A linear accelerator, also known as a linac, is a type of particle accelerator that uses electric fields to accelerate charged particles along a linear path. It is commonly used in medical settings for cancer treatment and in research for high-energy physics experiments.

2. How does a linear accelerator work?

A linear accelerator works by first generating an electric field, which accelerates electrons to high speeds. These electrons then collide with a metal target, producing X-rays or other types of radiation that can be used for various purposes.

3. What makes a linear accelerator design valid?

A valid linear accelerator design should be able to produce a stable and consistent beam of particles or radiation, with minimal energy loss and within the desired range of energies. It should also be able to operate safely and efficiently.

4. What are some factors that can affect the validity of a linear accelerator design?

Some factors that can affect the validity of a linear accelerator design include the quality of materials used, the precision of the components, and the effectiveness of the control systems. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

5. How is the validity of a linear accelerator design determined?

The validity of a linear accelerator design is typically determined through simulations and tests. Computer simulations can help predict the behavior of the design, while physical tests can verify its performance. The design may also need to be approved by regulatory bodies before it can be used in medical or research settings.