Is this outline of particle physics right?

In summary, the diagram is a helpful guide but it is not a complete or accurate representation of the Standard Model.
crastinus
Just a quick query here: Is the outline of particle physics at the link below right?

I have found it very helpful in a general way, but I am only just learning this stuff and don't want to be misled.

https://physics.info/standard/concept-map.pdf

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not a bad starting point, so it should be OK to use as a general idea. Although I'm not sure how much someone without any physics or particle physics background will understand the idea of something that "... acts between particles with color... ". And I am not sure if the Higgs is solely responsible in giving all particles their masses.

Have you looked at http://www.particleadventure.org/ ? It has a more extensive explanation on elementary particles at ... er ... an "elementary" level. They also have several charts similar to this that you can download.

Zz.

Likes berkeman and crastinus
I didn't know about that site, thanks.

Hm, well, I'd cancel the word "force" as one of the first thing from my dictionary when entering the relativistic realm. Neither classically (i.e., mostly electrodynamics) nor quantum-theoretically forces make much sense anymore, but the most important concept one has to learn about is the field description of interactions. It's the key issue of locality of interactions that let's us formulate the most successful theory created by human mind ever, the Standard Model of elementary particle physics.

Also of course fermions interact with bosons and fermions as do bosons. That's why it's called the interaction, and it must be like this since due to translation invariance of space and time there's energy and momentum conservation. So if bosons "excert forces" on fermions than also fermions must "excert forces" on bosons. As I sad, I'm no quite happy with using the force concept of non-relativistic physics in this context.

In the very left corner, I don't understand, why they say the differen neutrino flavors are stable or become less and less stable, respectively. Neutrinos are pretty complicated objects, given that they never occur in their mass eigenstates (which admits to interpret them as particles) but are created in their flavor eigenstates states and thus are oscillating. Strictly speaking they make only sense as internal lines in Feynman diagrams, i.e., you have to consider the entire process of creating the neutrino and measuring it in some reaction again.

On the upper left corner one should more carefully say that the Higgs field provides the fundamental mass of the fundamental fields in the standard model. Most of the mass of the matter around us is, however not provided by the Higgs field but is "dynamically generated" by the strong interaction (only about 2% of the proton/neutron mass is due to the Higgs mechanism; the entire rest is due to the strong interacion). This is a very complicated issue, not fully understood today. That it's right, however, we know from lattice-QCD calculations which reproduce the observed hadron-mass spectrum at the few percent level of accuracy.

The diagram may be a help for rote learning some facts about the Standard Model, but this is an approach to physics which is against the spirit of this most fascinating subject! The particle-adventure website quoted in #2 is way better.

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is the branch of physics that studies the smallest building blocks of matter and their interactions. These building blocks, known as particles, include subatomic particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. What is an outline of particle physics?

An outline of particle physics is a general overview of the fundamental particles, their interactions, and the theories and models used to describe them. It typically includes topics such as the Standard Model, particle accelerators, and the search for new particles and forces.

3. Is the Standard Model the only theory in particle physics?

No, the Standard Model is the most widely accepted theory in particle physics, but it is not considered a complete theory. There are still many unanswered questions and areas of research, such as dark matter and dark energy, that may require new theories or modifications to the Standard Model.

4. How is particle physics related to other fields of science?

Particle physics has connections to many other fields of science, including cosmology, astrophysics, and nuclear physics. It also has practical applications in technology, such as medical imaging and particle accelerators used in cancer treatment.

5. Can you explain the concept of particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators are machines that use electric fields to accelerate particles to high energies. They are used in particle physics research to study the properties of particles and their interactions. They are also used in medical and industrial applications, such as producing radioisotopes for medical imaging and sterilization processes.