Is this possible for stagnant water such as bottled water to become rotten

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: Thank you, everyone. Dave's reply suggests that stagnant clean water exosed to air as well as bottled water can both lose quality. Okay, there are bacteria and fungi in the air as well in the bottle; it is almost impossible to get perfectly pure water. That means even seawater is full of bacteria etc. What about underground water? The underground water has seeped down the ground after going throgh several natural purification steps. Right? Aren't there any bacteria, fungi, etc residing there under the ground? Is undergroud water more pure than seawater (forget the salt content) or stagnant pure clean water exposed to air or bottled water? I have heard from people that water pumped from a considerable depth is
jackson6612
I'm not a science student, can only understand simple chemistry. So, please be plain. Thanks.

Is this possible for stagnant water such as bottled water to become rotten, lose quality, after a long time? Does the length of time have any effect on water's quality?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I assume the growth of bacteria would create a loss of "quality." Of course, bottled water is generally enclosed from the outside environment so I'm not sure how long it would take for that to happen.

Not really. Clean water doesn't have any nutrients for bacteria to grow with.

I think that it is if the plastic releases something into the water or something like that.

Do you mean clean water exposed to air? Absolutely.Even clean water has a good dose of bacteria. Even sterilized, bottled water is still only clean to within a certain degree of tolerance. There are always some bacterial and algal spores.

Bacteria or even algae could probably multiply even in very clean water to the extent that they could spoil the taste of the water; it wouldn't require much.

Thank you, everyone.

Dave's reply suggests that stagnant clean water exosed to air as well as bottled water can both lose quality. Okay, there are bacteria and fungi in the air as well in the bottle; it is almost impossible to get perfectly pure water. That means even seawater is full of bacteria etc. What about underground water? The underground water has seeped down the ground after going throgh several natural purification steps. Right? Aren't there any bacteria, fungi, etc residing there under the ground? Is undergroud water more pure than seawater (forget the salt content) or stagnant pure clean water exposed to air or bottled water? I have heard from people that water pumped from a considerable depth is clean and good for health.

1. Can bottled water really become rotten?

Yes, stagnant water such as bottled water can indeed become rotten. While the term "rotten" may not be the most accurate way to describe it, bottled water can become contaminated with bacteria and other microorganisms that can make it unsafe to drink.

2. How does bottled water become rotten?

Bottled water can become contaminated with bacteria and other microorganisms if it is left open or unsealed for a period of time. This allows for the growth of these organisms, which can then make the water unsafe to consume.

3. Is it safe to drink bottled water that has become rotten?

No, it is not safe to drink bottled water that has become contaminated with bacteria or other microorganisms. These organisms can cause illness and other health problems if consumed.

4. Can I tell if bottled water has become rotten just by looking at it?

Unfortunately, no. Bacteria and other microorganisms are not visible to the naked eye, so you cannot tell if bottled water has become contaminated just by looking at it. It is always best to follow storage guidelines and expiration dates to ensure the safety of your bottled water.

5. How can I prevent bottled water from becoming rotten?

The best way to prevent bottled water from becoming contaminated and potentially "rotten" is to follow proper storage guidelines. This includes keeping the bottle sealed when not in use, storing it in a cool and dark place, and using it before the expiration date. It is also important to properly dispose of any opened or expired bottled water to avoid potential contamination.