1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this relation equivalence relation ?

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Relation is x^y = y^x........x and y belong to integers

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well i have already proven that they are reflexive and symmetric. I have doubt with transitive
    I did the follwoing way x^y = y^x.......(1) and y^z = z^y.........(2)
    from(1) x^z = y^(zx/y)
    from(2) z^x = y^(zx/y)
    Therefore x^z = z^x proving it is transitive

But the test paper solution does it this way
    from(1) y = x^(y/x) and from(2) y = z^(y/z)
    Now x^(y/x) = z^(y/z) ..... so its not transitive
    Which is correct? Did i do anything wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2
    How did it follow from x^(y/x) = z^(y/z) that x and z are not equivalent?
    Raise both sides to the power of (xz/y) , we will get x and z as equivalent.
    I think both methods prove transitivity. I can't see how the test paper solution is giving different answer after it has shown this :- x^(y/x) = z^(y/z) .

Note :- we don't have to worry about y being zero here. As 0 won't be equivalent to any other integer. As for any non-zero integer x ,
    0^x(=0) won't be same as x^0(=1) .

4. May 3, 2012 #3
    So it is an equivalent relation right?
    When the book gives the wrong solution i get real angry - more when it wastes so much time

5. May 3, 2012 #4
    Anyways can you find three numbers which are equivalent according to the above relation. I am unable to.
    I could think of pairs of numbers which are equivalent. For ex:- 2^4 = 4^2 .
    I am unable to find 3 such numbers which are equivalent.:cry:

6. May 3, 2012 #5
    Ah , as it happens other than the equivalence in the obvious case where an integer is equivalent to itself i.e x~x , there are only two pairs of integers which are equivalent , i.e (-2)~(-4) and (2)~(4) .

Thus there is no equivalence class containing 3 members or more for this equivalence relation. Either we have equivalence class of one member each i.e ...,{-3},{-1},{0},{1},{3}... or the two equivalence classes both of which contain two members i.e {2,4} and {-2,-4} .

This maybe a reason why your solution book gave the wrong answer for transitivity. Because there is no equivalence class of the form {x,y,z} where x,y,z are integers.

But there is another very common equivalence relation for which such a thing happens. I.e the equality relation.
    I.e x~y if x=y. For this relation , all the equivalence classes contain one member each. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook