Is this sufficiently proven? ( A set being a convex set)

In summary, the conversation discussed techniques for studying math proofs and proving that a set C, defined as {real numbers x: ax ≤ b} for real numbers a and b, is a convex set. The proof involves showing that the inequality tx + (1-t)x' ≤ \frac{b}{a} holds for two different cases, and then it was suggested to simply calculate a(tx + (1-t)x') directly to show that it is less than or equal to b. This approach is simpler and does not require separate cases.
Dazed&Confused
Hi, just a few details prior: I'm trying to study techniques for maths proofs in general after having completed A level maths as I feel it will be of benefit later when actually doing more advanced maths/physics. With this question what is important is the proof is correct which means I don't actually know what a convex set is or what it is useful for...

P.S sorry if this is the wrong sub forum.

Homework Statement

Prove that if a and b are real numbers, then the set C= { real numbers x: ax ≤ b} is a convex set.

Homework Equations

tx + (1-t) y ( for convex sets)

ax ≤ b

The Attempt at a Solution

To show that C = x ≤ [itex]\frac{b}{a}[/itex] is a convex set let x and x' be members of C.

The inequality must hold:

tx + (1-t)x' ≤ [itex]\frac{b}{a}[/itex]

Case 1)

Assume x ≤ x' ≤ [itex]\frac{b}{a}[/itex]

Then

t(x-x') ≤ 0

and hence t(x-x') +x' ≤ [itex]\frac{b}{a}[/itex]

Case 2)

assume x' ≤ x ≤ [itex]\frac{b}{a}[/itex]

Then

(1-t)x' ≤ [itex]\frac{b}{a}[/itex] -tx ≤ (1-t)[itex]\frac{b}{a}[/itex]

(1-t)x' ≤ (1-t)[itex]\frac{b}{a}[/itex]

And hence the inequality holds for both cases Q.E.D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dazed&Confused said:
Hi, just a few details prior: I'm trying to study techniques for maths proofs in general after having completed A level maths as I feel it will be of benefit later when actually doing more advanced maths/physics. With this question what is important is the proof is correct which means I don't actually know what a convex set is or what it is useful for...

Homework Statement

Prove that if a and b are real numbers, then the set C= { real numbers x: ax ≤ b} is a convex set.

Homework Equations

ax ≤ b

To show that C = x ≤ [itex]\frac{b}{a}[/itex] is a convex set let x and x' be members of C.

Case 1)

Then

t(x-x') ≤ 0

Case 2)

Then

How do you get that middle term from (1-t)x?

Why not just calculate ##a(tx + (1-t)x')## directly and show it is ##\le b##? No separate cases needed.

I thought about that but not sure how to go about it. I mean wouldn't you essentially be doing the same thing?

and sorry I'm don't know what term you are referring to. Do you mean the x' term instead of x?

Thanks for reply btw.

Dazed&Confused said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

ax ≤ b

Case 1)

Then

t(x-x') ≤ 0

Case 2)

Then

(1-t)x' ≤ (1-t)[itex]\frac{b}{a}[/itex]

And hence the inequality holds for both cases Q.E.D

Note: you need to be careful! The inequalities ax ≤ b and x ≤ b/a are equivalent only if a > 0. If a < 0 you need to reverse one of the inequality signs, and if a = 0, one of them does not make sense.

whoops :/ .. well say I kept the inequality in the question and changed all the other inequalities accordingly e.g.

at(x-x') + ax' ≤ b

etc... does that then make the proof valid?

Dazed&Confused said:

Then
(1-t)x' ≤ [itex]\color{red}{\frac{b}{a} -tx}[/itex] ≤ (1-t)[itex]\frac{b}{a}[/itex]

LCKurtz said:
How do you get that middle term from (1-t)x?

Dazed&Confused said:
and sorry I'm don't know what term you are referring to. Do you mean the x' term instead of x?

I'm referring to the expression in red.

LCKurtz said:
Why not just calculate ##a(tx + (1-t)x')## directly and show it is ##\le b##? No separate cases needed.

Dazed&Confused said:
I thought about that but not sure how to go about it. I mean wouldn't you essentially be doing the same thing?

No. It's really simple. Expand it and use what you know about ax and ax'.

rearraged tx + (1-t)x' ≤ b/a

although now thinking about it.. looks like circular reasoning to me

Dazed&Confused said:
rearraged tx + (1-t)x' ≤ b/a

although now thinking about it.. looks like circular reasoning to me

So try my suggestion...

so tax + (1-t)ax' ≤ tb + (1-t)b = b ?

So simple it leaves you Dazed&Confused, eh? You should start with ##a(tx + (1-t)x')=## on the left to be complete.

Likes 1 person
yh pretty simple... makes me feel like a simpleton.. thank you anyway

1. What does it mean for a set to be convex?

A set is considered convex if for any two points within the set, the line segment connecting them also lies within the set. In other words, a set is convex if it contains all the points on the line segment connecting any two points within the set.

2. How is convexity proven for a given set?

Convexity can be proven by using the definition of convexity and showing that for any two points within the set, the line segment connecting them also lies within the set. This can be done analytically or geometrically, depending on the nature of the set.

3. Can a set be both convex and concave?

No, a set cannot be both convex and concave. A set is either convex or concave based on the definition of convexity. If a set is convex, it cannot be concave, and vice versa.

4. Can a set be partially convex?

No, a set cannot be partially convex. A set is either convex or not convex. If a set does not satisfy the definition of convexity for all points within the set, then it is not considered convex.

5. Why is it important to determine if a set is convex?

Determining if a set is convex is important because it allows for the use of convex optimization techniques, which are powerful tools for solving various problems in science, engineering, and mathematics. Additionally, convex sets have many useful properties that can help to simplify problem-solving processes.