1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this the correct answer for a partial differentiation question?

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the general solution of

y' + (2/x)y = 3/(x^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

xy' + 2y = 3/x
    d/dx (x * 2y) = 3/x
    integrating both sides (using product rule for LHS) I end up with

y= (3lnx + C)/2x

Then I am supposed to find the solution for which y(2) = -1 so I subbed that into the above and got c = -4/3 - ln2

So then I can say that y = 3lnx/(2x) - 4/3 -ln2

Hope thats right!
    Thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2
    your first step was right
    u shud have repeated that
    (x^2)y' + 2xy = 3
    d/dx ((x ^ 2)*y) = 3
    integrating both sides

y(x^2)+c=3x
    this is the general solution now u can find c by given values of x and y and not supposing.

4. Jul 9, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In what sense is this a partial differential equation?

These are NOT the same. differentiating (x*2y) gives 2xy'+ 2y. there is no "2" multipying xy' in the equation.

There is no "product rule" for integration. You are simply using the "fundamental theorem of calculus, that the integral of f ' is f.

If y= (3lnx+ C)/2x, then y'= [2x(3/x)- 2(3lnx+C)]/4x2
    Then xy'+ 2y= [6- 6lnx+2C]/4x+ [6lnx+ 2C/4x= 3/2x, not 3/x.

As I pointed out d/dx[2xy] is NOT equal to xy'+ 2y. There is NO function of x and y whose derivative with respect to x is xy'+ 2y, it is not an exact derivative. However, multiplying the entire equation by the "integrating factor", x, wil make it exact.

Multiplying the equation xy'+ 2y= 3/x by x gives x2y'+ 2xy= 3. The left side is equal to d[x2y]/dx so the equation is the same as d(x2y)/dx= 3 and integrating both sides of that x2y= 3x+ C.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  5. Jul 9, 2008 #4
    THanks guys, I know I typed partial but it is not what I meant... I've read about 16 text books today I think and I've made myself more confused.... I understand the part that I missed now and I didn't even think to differentiate and check if my answer was right, I was more surprised that I got an answer... I'm studying very hard mathematics in order to teach high school maths and I'm struggling... thanks heaps for all your info

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?