Is this the right course for this kind of questions

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, the conversation discusses a challenging question involving a continuous and differentiable function, and the use of the mean value theorem to prove a statement about the function. The person expresses surprise at the complexity of the question and questions the inclusion of such questions in a calculus course. They also inquire about the number of theorems in a single variable calculus course and where to effectively learn and understand them.
transgalactic
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-01Fall-2006/VideoLectures/index.htm

does it consists with theoretical knowledge of solving question like this:

there is a function f(x) which is continues in the borders [a,b]
and derivitable in the borders (a,b), b>a>0
alpha differs 0
prove the there is b>c>a

in that formula:
http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=81208753je3.gif

i never encoutered this kind of questions
and in this MIT calculus course i searched their exams and there is no such question
there are only normal calculus material regarding derivatives ,limits,aproximations
but i can't see this sort of complicated proving questions
??

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{left|\begin{array}{cc}a^\alpha & b^\alpha \\ f(a) & f(b) \end{array}\right|}{a^\alpha- b^\alpha}= f(c)- c\frac{f'(c)}{\alpha}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a^\alpha f(b)- b^\alpha f(a)}{a^\alpha- b^\alpha}= \frac{a^\alpha f(b)- a^\alpha f(a)+ a^\alpha f(a)- b^\alpha f(a)}{a^\alpha- b^\alpha}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{a^\alpha}{a^\alpha- b^\alpha}(f(b)- f(a))+ f(a)[/tex]

That looks to me like a fairly straight forward variation of the "mean value theorem". I would have no doubt that any Calculus course would include a proof of the mean value theorem but I certainly would not guarantee any course would include that particular variation.

so these proof questions are about theorems

how much theorems are there in a single variable calculus course
where can i effectively learn them,understand them ?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a course?

When choosing a course, it is important to consider your interests, career goals, and strengths. You should also research the course curriculum, teaching methods, and available resources to ensure that it aligns with your learning style and needs.

2. How do I know if this course is the right fit for me?

The best way to determine if a course is the right fit for you is to attend an information session or speak with the instructor. You can also read course reviews and talk to students who have previously taken the course to get a better understanding of the course content and workload.

3. What if I am unsure about my career path?

If you are unsure about your career path, it is important to choose a course that aligns with your interests and strengths. You can also consider taking a variety of courses to explore different subjects and career options.

4. Can I switch courses if I realize it is not the right one for me?

Yes, you can switch courses if you realize it is not the right one for you. However, it is important to do so early in the semester to avoid falling behind in your studies. You should also consult with your advisor or the instructor to determine the best course of action.

5. What resources are available to help me determine if this is the right course for me?

There are several resources available to help you determine if a course is the right fit for you. These include information sessions, course reviews, talking to previous students, and consulting with your advisor or the instructor. You can also reach out to the department or career center for guidance.