Question about calculus and education

In summary: A community college might assume that a student has not had exposure to limits and spend more time on this topic.
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought about this myself - because at the university where I teach, a great deal of time is spent on limits and infinite sums (in the integral calc course). I think it boils down to the fact that, as a practicing physicist or engineer, MIT graduates will mostly use applications of calculus itself and not so much the limits themselves (nb. they *do* use limits, but I think it would be safe to say that the limits they use are generally much simpler - esp. at an undergraduate level - than the limits involved in analysis/calculus).

However, because limits are fundamental to the ideas in calculus, an older, standard pedagogical approach deems it extremely important that students understand limits and be able to manipulate them.

In my own experience, this latter method is not really effective (if the goal is to underline the relevance of limits in calculus): when I ask students why they study limits in calculus, not one of them can explain their relevance to the rest of the material, which means that - even with all the emphasis & extra examples - the message isn't being communicated effectively.

It seems to me MIT has taken this same stance and attempted to stress the conceptual relevance of limits without ceding excessive learning time to developing the technical skills required for their manipulation - though I'm certain many will disagree with this approach.

I should add, that I expect limits are revisited or addressed in greater detail at a later time - for example in 18.01 I believe they circle back to limits at the end of the course. So they may have simply chosen to address limits more completely at a later point in the ugrad course schedule.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, a four year college- and particularly a college such as M.I.T.- will assume that students who are taking Calculus already have been exposed to "limits" even if they have not taken a Calculus course before.

What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding and analyzing complex systems and phenomena in the natural and physical world. It is also a fundamental tool in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

How is calculus taught in education?

Calculus is typically taught in a sequential manner, starting with the basic concepts of limits, derivatives, and integrals, and then moving on to more advanced topics such as multivariable calculus and differential equations. It is often accompanied by practical applications and problem-solving exercises to help students understand and apply the concepts.

What are the challenges of teaching and learning calculus?

One of the main challenges of teaching and learning calculus is its abstract nature, which can be difficult for students to grasp. It also requires a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, which can be a barrier for some students. Additionally, the pace of the course can be fast, and the concepts can build upon each other, making it challenging for students to keep up.

Why is it important to incorporate real-world applications in calculus education?

Incorporating real-world applications in calculus education helps students see the relevance and practicality of the concepts they are learning. It also allows them to apply their knowledge to solve real-world problems, which can enhance their critical thinking and problem-solving skills. This approach can also make the subject more engaging and interesting for students.

How can educators make calculus more accessible and engaging for students?

There are various strategies that educators can use to make calculus more accessible and engaging for students. These include incorporating technology and visual aids, providing real-world examples and applications, breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and creating a supportive and interactive learning environment. It is also important to address any misconceptions and provide ample opportunities for students to practice and apply their knowledge.