Small question about maxwell's equation curl of H

In summary, the equation ## \vec{B}=\mu_o (\vec{H}+\vec{M}) ## can be rewritten as ## \vec{B}=\vec{J}_m \times \hat{n} ##, where ## \vec{J}_m=\vec{H}+\vec{M} ##, and the surface current per unit length ## \vec{K}_m=\vec{M} \times \hat{n} ## comes from ## \nabla \times \vec{M}=\vec{J}_m ##.
Tom 4 billion tom
The first page of this short pdf from MIT sums the starting point to formulate my question:
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-022-physics-ii-electricity-and-magnetism-fall-2006/lecture-notes/lecture29.pdf

We can see that
∇xH = Jfree
and
∇xB o (Jfree +∇xM)
∇xB o (Jfree +JB)

And now my question is, if KB ≠ 0 , how I can't see its contribution to B in the last equation?
I have been solving problems in class and in them it appears a contribution to B , after using the curl theorem, like this
∫KB·dl

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that by ##\vec K_B## you mean the bound surface currents on a magnetized material. These are a subset of the bound current density ##\vec J_B##, namely the bound currents that lie on the surface of the material (idealized as an infinitesimally thin sheet) rather than being distributed through the volume of its interior.

Mathematically I think you might incorporate ##\vec K_B## into the last equation by multiplying it by a Dirac delta function that represents the surface, thereby converting it to a volume current density.

Likes Charles Link
The evaluation of ## \nabla \times \vec{M} ## includes surface currents, and, as by Stokes theorem, the discontinuity in ## \vec{M} ## at the boundary results in a surface current per unit length ## \vec{K}_m=\vec{M} \times \hat{n} ##, that comes from ## \nabla \times \vec{M}=\vec{J}_m ##. ## \\ ## Basically, this derivation, (of ## \nabla \times \vec{H}=\vec{J}_{free} ##), starts with ## \vec{B}=\mu_o (\vec{H}+\vec{M}) ##, and you take the curl of both sides. The derivation of the equation ## \vec{B}=\mu_o (\vec{H}+\vec{M}) ## can be somewhat lengthy, and the derivation is often omitted in many E&M textbooks. They like to use the analogous electrostatic equation ## \vec{D}=\epsilon_o \vec{E} +\vec{P} ##, to justify it.

Last edited:
Thank's both, and sorry for replying late. I thing I understood the general idea of your replies but for the moment I am going to look up in the bibliography the said discontinuity at the boundary.

Likes Charles Link
You will see a similar thing in electrostatics with ## -\nabla \cdot \vec{P}=\rho_p ##, and ## \nabla \cdot {E}=\frac{\rho_{total}}{\epsilon_o} ##, where ## \rho_{total}=\rho_{free}+\rho_p ## The equation ## \nabla \cdot \vec{D}=\rho_{free} ## is a result of using the definition ## \vec{D}=\epsilon_o \vec{E}+\vec{P} ##. Upon taking the divergence of both sides of the equation, the result ## \nabla \cdot \vec{D}=\rho_{free} ## follows. There is a surface polarization charge density ## \sigma_p=\vec{P} \cdot \hat{n} ##, but this is all part of ## -\nabla \cdot {P}=\rho_p ## by applying Gauss' law to the discontinuity in ## \vec{P} ##. ## \\ ## And it may also interest you that there is a "pole" model of magnetostatics, analogous to the electrostatic "pole" method, that works with magnetic "pole" density ## \rho_m=-\nabla \cdot \vec{M} ##, where the magnetic "poles" are sources of ## \vec{H} ## using the inverse square law, and magnetic surface currents ## \vec{K}_m ## are ignored. The "pole" method also uses the equation ## \vec{B}=\mu_o (\vec{H}+\vec{M} ) ##. Very surprisingly, both methods get the exact same answer for the magnetic field ## \vec{B} ##. In this "pole" model, free currents in conductors are also considered to be sources of ## \vec{H} ##, with the ## \vec{H} ## determined by a Biot-Savart type equation, but with ## \vec{H}=\frac{\vec{B}}{\mu_o} ##.

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of the curl of H in Maxwell's equations?

The curl of the magnetic field, denoted as curl of H, represents the circulation of the magnetic field around a given point. It is a vector quantity that describes the rotational behavior of the magnetic field.

2. How is the curl of H related to electromagnetic waves?

The curl of H is an important component in the electromagnetic wave equation, also known as Maxwell's wave equation. This equation describes how electric and magnetic fields interact and propagate as electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the mathematical expression for the curl of H?

The mathematical expression for the curl of H is given by the cross product of the gradient operator and the magnetic field vector. It can be written as curl of H = ∇ x H.

4. What is the significance of the curl of H in the context of electromagnetic fields?

The curl of H is an essential quantity in Maxwell's equations, which govern the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It helps in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and their interactions with electric fields, which play a crucial role in the generation and propagation of electromagnetic waves.

5. How is the curl of H used in practical applications?

The curl of H is used in various practical applications, such as electromagnetic field simulations, antenna design, and electromagnetic wave propagation analysis. It is also used in engineering and scientific fields to study and understand the behavior of magnetic fields in different systems.