Is Time a Vector, Scalar, or Something Else Entirely?

In summary, time is a scalar quantity that can be measured in various units. Its definition can be challenging, as it is a fundamental unit that cannot be easily defined in simpler terms. Time is what a clock measures and it is a crucial aspect of our universe, allowing for events to occur in a sequential manner. The acceleration of time is considered to be constant and equal to zero.
unscientific
Greetings, I have pondered over this question for what seemed ages. I dared not ask for opinions of my fellow classmates for they may mock at me for being a moron.
My question is:
1) What exactly is time? ( scalar? vector? units? force? )

2) How does time past?

( Before 1s passes.. 0.0001s...0.0000000000001s...etc. ) Does time even past or begin?

2 b) State the acceleration of time.

Nothing could be more wonderful than an intellectual discussion. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first question alone could be pondered for quite awhile. Time is most definitely a scalar, and can be measured in whatever units you like (just as length can be measured in inches, meters, cubits, etc.). But it's interesting to ask what time really is. I remember my very first physics class, in which our instructor posed the question of how we should define time. But she then asked us to write our own individual definitions, which proved to be a somewhat challenging task. The problem with the most basic units, such as time, length, mass, and electric charge, is that they are so simple that they can't easily be defined in any simpler terms.

Operational: time is what a clock measures.

What does a clock measure? What we want it to measure.

So why does the universe seem to be so obsessed about working according to something we have defined? Easy: we were inspired to build a clock to measure something that we knew would be periodic, regular etc.

unscientific said:
2 b) State the acceleration of time.
I'll have a go at this one for fun.

dt = dt.
dt/dt = 1.
d^2t/dt^2 = d/dt(1) = 0.

As logic dictates it ought to be.

Claude.

John Wheeler (a famous physicist) was famous for saying that time is what prevents everything from happenging together.

Related to Is Time a Vector, Scalar, or Something Else Entirely?

1. Is time a vector or scalar?

Time is considered a scalar quantity in physics. This means that it has magnitude, but not direction. It is measured in units of seconds.

2. Why is time considered a scalar?

Time is considered a scalar because it only has magnitude, and does not have direction. It is a one-dimensional quantity that can only be measured in one direction.

3. Can time be represented as a vector?

While time is technically considered a scalar quantity, it can be represented as a vector in certain cases. For example, in relativity, time is considered to be the fourth dimension and can be represented as a vector in a four-dimensional space-time diagram.

4. Are there any situations where time behaves as a vector?

Yes, in some situations, time can behave as a vector. For instance, in physics, when calculating velocity or acceleration, time is often combined with other vector quantities such as displacement and velocity to form vector equations.

5. How does time being a scalar affect its mathematical operations?

Since time is a scalar quantity, its mathematical operations are similar to those of other scalars. For example, time can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided. However, unlike other scalars, time cannot be raised to a power or added to other scalar quantities.