Is Work Done Pushing a Car Up an Incline Independent of the Angle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
drewdiddy
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Work pushing car up incline.

More of a generalization than anything. Is the work done independent of the angle of the hill seeing as all we're concerned with is the change in h?

I had two problems on the homework. One carrying a backpack up a hill where the angle wasn't given and not necessary and another with pushing a car up a hill where the angle was given and necessary to get the correct solution. Trying to differentiate when I need the angle and not

Homework Equations



W=F(d cos <) and W=Fh (when h=cos< x d)

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that h is dependent on theta . To get the work done out of a problem, one method is through the final height reached. You can also find it through force times the inclined distance moved.
 
doh. I knew that. It's late here :) What I meant was that I was given two work problems. Both give mass of object, both give h, one gives angle and the other does not. But from what I see the work is calculable on both of them. However, the angle is necessary to use in the problem where it is given. I'm unable to wrap my head around why that is.