Isaac Newton - The Mathematical Principles of Natural

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of the book "The Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy" by Isaac Newton. It is mentioned that the book can be found on Amazon and archive.org, but it is also noted that the book is not recommended as a reference for calculus. Additionally, some historical background on the book and Newton's use of geometry in his arguments is mentioned, along with references for further reading.
Emmanuel_Euler
how can i find this book??

( Isaac Newton - The Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy)

Physics news on Phys.org
Amazon? Bookstore? Online free pdf version?

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
is there another websites?? please??

thank you.

The Principia is pretty rough going, even in translation. It's not The Universe for Dummies kind of book.

Indeed. I noticed that you posted this under calculus. I certainly wouldn't recommend the Principia as a reference for this. You could try Newton's Method of Fluxions for historical curiosity. I made it through about 70 pages of the Principia over the course of several weeks a few years ago before deciding it was too much effort at the time. Someday maybe...

You might look into Newton's Principia for the Common Reader in which Chandrasekhar analyzes Newton's propositions. I haven't given it a go yet, but if I tackle the Principia again that is probably the book I'll choose, at least as a companion.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
Most of the arguments which Newton made in the Principia are geometric. Although Newton had made his discoveries in the calculus many years before writing the Principia, he was reluctant to publish his mathematical works in a timely fashion, which is one reason for the friction between him and Leibniz over priority of discovery of key concepts in the calculus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophiæ_Naturalis_Principia_Mathematica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_calculus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz–Newton_calculus_controversy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_Fluxions

1. What is "Isaac Newton - The Mathematical Principles of Natural" about?

Isaac Newton's "The Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy" is a book that outlines his laws of motion and universal gravitation, as well as his three laws of mechanics and his theory of calculus.

2. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How did Newton discover the laws of motion and universal gravitation?

Newton's laws of motion and universal gravitation were discovered through a combination of his own experiments and observations, as well as building upon the work of other scientists such as Galileo and Kepler. He also developed his theory of calculus to better understand the mathematical principles behind these laws.

4. What impact did "The Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy" have on the scientific community?

Newtons's book had a profound impact on the scientific community, as it provided a comprehensive and mathematical explanation of the laws governing motion and gravity. It also laid the foundation for modern physics and greatly influenced the work of scientists such as Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.

5. How are Newton's laws of motion and universal gravitation still relevant today?

Newton's laws of motion and universal gravitation are still fundamental principles in the study of physics and are used to explain and predict the behavior of objects in motion. They are also applied in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and space exploration. Additionally, Newton's theory of calculus is still used in mathematics and science today.