Ising model, Hiblert space, Hamiltonian

In summary, the purpose of the Ising model, Hilbert space, and Hamiltonian is to understand quantum mechanics, particularly in relation to ferromagnetism. They are foundational concepts that require a basic understanding of quantum mechanics to grasp. These topics may not be typical material for a freshman, but they are being researched for a presentation.
newbe318
Can anyone please explain to me what is the Ising model, Hilbert space, and
Hamiltonian ?

However, please explain it as simple as possible because I am a freshman.

I have looked up all three things. I've tried my best to make some sense of it, but I am, honestly, still confused on what any of it means. I hate to ask silly questions, but What is the purpose of the Ising model, Hilbert space, and Hamiltonian? What are some important details that I should, at the very least, need to take away from learning these topics?

I am researching on an physical review paper and I need help understanding what those three topics mean. Any knowledge or help given on topic to help me better understand is appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
newbe318 said:
What is the purpose of the Ising model, Hilbert space, and Hamiltonian? What are some important details that I should, at the very least, need to take away from learning these topics?

Hilbert spaces and Hamiltonians are the foundation of quantum mechanics, so if you're confused by what they mean then it sounds like you have a pretty significant knowledge gap to understanding something like the Ising model. A Hilbert space is the set of all possible states of quantum system, which together form something you learn about in linear algebra called a vector space. The Hamiltonian determines how a quantum system changes with time. The Ising model is a particular Hamiltonian that is used as a model for understanding ferromagnetism quantum mechanically. Without learning the basics of quantum mechanics first, as one would do in a typical first or second year physics class, I don't really see that understanding a particular application of quantum mechanics like the Ising model is possible. In any case, it doesn't seem like usual freshman material.

Likes bhobba
Thank you for helping me.

In case you're wondering, yes it doesn't seem like freshman material because my partners are the one who decided to research this topic for our presentation.

1. What is the Ising model?

The Ising model is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of magnetic materials at the atomic level. It was first proposed by Wilhelm Lenz and Ernst Ising in the early 20th century and has since been used in various fields of physics and mathematics.

2. What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that represents an infinite-dimensional vector space. It is named after David Hilbert and is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a quantum system.

3. How is the Hamiltonian related to the Ising model?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used to describe the total energy of a physical system. In the Ising model, the Hamiltonian is used to calculate the energy of the system based on the interactions between individual particles.

4. What are the applications of the Ising model?

The Ising model has many applications, including in statistical physics, condensed matter physics, and computer science. It has been used to study phase transitions, magnetism, and even to model neural networks.

5. How is the Ising model solved?

The Ising model can be solved analytically for simple systems, such as a one-dimensional chain of particles. For more complex systems, numerical methods such as Monte Carlo simulation or mean field theory are often used to approximate the behavior of the system. There is no general analytical solution for the Ising model in higher dimensions.