1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isobaric, Isochoric, Isothermal, and Adiabatic Processes

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1
    http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1013990/12/1013990E.jpg

Which of the following statements are true about the first half of this process, just going from
    state A to state F?

Both T and U increase.
    W provides energy input.
    Q provides energy input.
    Q is larger (in magnitude) than W.

I know that Q provides energy input, but none of the other ones sound corrects to me. . .

please help.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    OK. Here's how to approach this:

1) Is there an increase or decrease in temperature, and hence is there an increase or decrease in U? (Hint: Think ideal gas eqn.)
    2) Is there any work done on or by the gas? How do you know?
    3) Relate the signs and magnitudes of U and W, to the sign and magnitude of Q by the first law of thermodynamics.

4. Dec 1, 2008 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I will assume this is an ideal gas. The PV graph shows P declining linearly as V increases. Plot the isotherm (ie a path in which T is constant: ie P = nRT/V). Now what can you say about paths that are ABOVE the isotherm and paths that are below it (ie what happens to the temperature jn moving along the path?). Is A-F above or below the isotherm?

Now plot the adiabatic path:

[tex]PV^\gamma = K[/tex]

What can you say about Q on the adiabatic path? What can you say about a path that is above the adiabatic path? Below? Is A-F above or below the adiabatic path? What does that tell you about Q?'

Now consider the work done from A-F. How do you measure that? How does that compare to the work done with the adiabatic path? (Q=0). What does that tell you about the work done compared to heat flow?

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?