Isolate for Angle With Variables

In summary, the author is trying to solve for the angle in terms of the other variables, but is having difficulty doing so. The trigonometric identities are given, but it is difficult to use them to isolate for the angle. A quadratic equation is solved, and it is found that θ=arctan(1/μ). However, this method is not new and is already known to high school students.
AvocadosNumber

Homework Statement

Isolate for the angle. Do not sub in numbers, isolate the angle, θ . Use of trig identities required.

Homework Equations

[itex]m_{2}g=m_{1}gsinθ-μm_{1}gcosθ[/itex]

We are given the trigonometric identities:
LhWjADR.png

CwvM9Mh.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted everything from squaring both sides, to no avail, as I see no way to use any trig identities so isolate for the angle. It is the μ that makes it quite difficult to isolate for θ.

[itex]m_{2}g=m_{1}g(sinθ-μcosθ)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{m_{2}g}{m_{1}g}=(sinθ-μcosθ)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{m_{2}}{m_{1}}=sinθ-μcosθ[/itex]
At this point I am completely stuck... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to solve for the angle in therm of the other variables?

Likes 1 person
Yes, that is what I am trying to do.

You could move one of the terms from right side to left and then square both sides.
Then use the last of the formulas in your image to get a quadratic equation in either sin or cos.

Likes 1 person
Alright. This is what I have tried... I don't know if it's entirely correct but it still seems really clustered.

yv2kIXA.jpg

I don't know what to do next though...

AvocadosNumber said:

Homework Statement

Isolate for the angle. Do not sub in numbers, isolate the angle, θ . Use of trig identities required.

Homework Equations

We are given the trigonometric identities:
LhWjADR.png

CwvM9Mh.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted everything from squaring both sides, to no avail, as I see no way to use any trig identities so isolate for the angle. It is the μ that makes it quite difficult to isolate for θ.

[itex]m_{2}g=m_{1}g(sinθ-μcosθ)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{m_{2}g}{m_{1}g}=(sinθ-μcosθ)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{m_{2}}{m_{1}}=sinθ-μcosθ[/itex]
At this point I am completely stuck... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Try this:
[itex](sinθ-μcosθ)=\sqrt{μ^2+1}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{μ^2+1}}sinθ-\frac{μ}{\sqrt{μ^2+1}}cosθ)=\sqrt{μ^2+1}(sinθcos\phi-cosθsin\phi)=\sqrt{μ^2+1}\,\,sin(θ-\phi)[/itex]
where [itex]cot\phi=μ[/itex]

AvocadosNumber said:
Alright. This is what I have tried... I don't know if it's entirely correct but it still seems really clustered.

yv2kIXA.jpg

I don't know what to do next though...

You got a quadratic equation for cosθ. Solve with the quadratic formula.

ehild

Hi, just attempted with quadratic formula, but I can't get anywhere (as in I can't simplify it any further it looks so hideous).

Since no one seemed to have any interest in what I did in response #6, I will continue by completing the solution:

[tex]θ=\arcsin\left({\frac{(m_2/m_1)}{\sqrt{μ^2+1}}}\right)+\arctan(1/μ)[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Since no one seemed to have any interest in what I did in response #6, I will continue by completing the solution:

This is a clever method. You can even take μ=tan(β) where β is the "friction angle", which has some physical interpretation.

Edit. Actually the ∅ defined as above it is equal to the friction angle:
tan(∅)=μ.

Are you sure that in your result, the last term is not arctan(μ) rather than of 1/μ?

Last edited:
AvocadosNumber said:
Hi, just attempted with quadratic formula, but I can't get anywhere (as in I can't simplify it any further it looks so hideous).

You can simplify it a bit, by expanding the parentheses under the square root. And don't worry if it is not simple.

ehild

Chestermiller said:

It should be arctan(μ).
Yes, it is a clever method if somebody knows it.

ehild

ehild said:
It should be arctan(μ).
Yes, it is a clever method if somebody knows it.

ehild

Oh. You're right. It should be arctan(μ). Sorry for the error.
Incidentally, this "clever method" has appeared in many threads on physics forums. It is often used to get the phase angle in periodic solutions to problems.

Chestermiller said:
Incidentally, this "clever method" has appeared in many threads on physics forums.

The OP did not know it, so some explanation would have been necessary.

ehild

Chestermiller said:
Oh. You're right. It should be arctan(μ). Sorry for the error.
Incidentally, this "clever method" has appeared in many threads on physics forums. It is often used to get the phase angle in periodic solutions to problems.

I did not say it's new. We used in high school and that was long time ago.:smile:
But this does not make it less clever, right? Or at least more elegant that the quadratic equation.

However, as ehild pointed already a couple of times, the poster may not be aware of the trig identities involved. The less elegant methods may feel more comfortable for a beginner.

ehild said:
The OP did not know it, so some explanation would have been necessary.

ehild

Good point. I guess a couple of extra details would have been really helpful. I'll try to remember this for the future.

Chet

Related to Isolate for Angle With Variables

1. What is "Isolate for Angle With Variables"?

"Isolate for Angle With Variables" is a mathematical process used to solve for a specific angle in a given equation or problem. It involves rearranging the equation to isolate the angle variable on one side of the equation, making it easier to solve for the angle.

2. Why is it important to isolate for angle with variables?

Isolating for angle with variables allows for a more direct approach to solving for a specific angle in a given equation or problem. It also helps to reduce errors and confusion that can arise when trying to solve for the angle when it is mixed in with other variables.

3. What are some common strategies for isolating for angle with variables?

There are a few common strategies for isolating for angle with variables. These include using inverse operations to move terms to the other side of the equation, combining like terms, and factoring out common terms.

4. Are there any special cases when isolating for angle with variables?

Yes, there are a few special cases when isolating for angle with variables. One common example is when dealing with trigonometric functions, where special trigonometric identities may need to be applied in order to isolate for the angle variable. Additionally, some equations may require the use of more complex algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in isolating for angle with variables?

The best way to improve your skills in isolating for angle with variables is to practice solving a variety of equations and problems. There are many online resources and textbooks that provide practice problems and solutions. Additionally, working with a tutor or attending a math workshop can also be helpful in improving your skills in this area.