Isolated Point Charge and Work?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on ranking the paths for moving a positive charge from one point to another in an isolated point charge system. The person is uncertain about how to approach the question but mentions their knowledge of W= F*d and W=PEa-PEb. They also mention learning about electric fields and forces, including the equations E=ΔV/Δx and E=F/q. They are unsure about the concept of conservative forces and fields due to possible differences in terminology used by their professor.
hrf2
This is a really abstract question, and I'm absolutely clueless on how to approach it.
I know W= F*d, where F=force and d=distance, as well as W= PEa-PEb.
The question reads:

The diagram shows an isolated point charge. Marked are four paths (A, B, C, and D) from a point (P1) to point (P2). The two points, P1 and P2, are equidistant from the charge. Rank the paths by the work required to move a positive charge from P1 to P2 from least to greatest.
volt_path.png

For some reason I feel like B will be the greatest, but I don't really have any basis for that to be honest.

Physics news on Phys.org
hrf2 said:
This is a really abstract question, and I'm absolutely clueless on how to approach it.
I know W= F*d, where F=force and d=distance, as well as W= PEa-PEb.
The question reads:

The diagram shows an isolated point charge. Marked are four paths (A, B, C, and D) from a point (P1) to point (P2). The two points, P1 and P2, are equidistant from the charge. Rank the paths by the work required to move a positive charge from P1 to P2 from least to greatest.
volt_path.png

For some reason I feel like B will be the greatest, but I don't really have any basis for that to be honest.
Welcome to the PF.

What have you learned so far about Conservative Forces and Conservative Fields?

Likes hrf2
We've learned about electric fields and electric forces. I know E= ΔV/Δx, where V is voltage and x is distance in meters. And E= F/q where F is force and q is charge. I don't have any notes on "conservative forces or fields" but that also might be just because my professor is using different terminology?

1. What is an isolated point charge?

An isolated point charge is a hypothetical concept used in physics to describe a single charged particle that is separated from any other charged particles or sources of electric fields. It is often used as a simplification in calculations and models.

2. How is the electric field calculated for an isolated point charge?

The electric field at a point in space due to an isolated point charge is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the magnitude of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charge and the point in question.

3. What is the relationship between work and an isolated point charge?

Work is a measure of the energy required to move an object against a force. In the case of an isolated point charge, the electric field can exert a force on another charged particle, causing it to move and thus requiring work to be done. The work done by an electric field on a charged particle is equal to the change in potential energy of the particle.

4. How does the work done by an electric field on a charged particle relate to the potential difference between two points?

The potential difference between two points is a measure of the work required to move a unit charge from one point to the other. In the case of an isolated point charge, the work done by the electric field on a charged particle is equal to the product of the charge and the potential difference between the two points.

5. Can an isolated point charge have a non-zero net charge?

No, an isolated point charge is defined as a single charged particle that is separated from any other charged particles or sources of electric fields. This means that by definition, it cannot have a non-zero net charge, as there are no other charges present to cancel out or contribute to the overall charge.