1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isolated Point Charge and Work?

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    This is a really abstract question, and I'm absolutely clueless on how to approach it.
    I know W= F*d, where F=force and d=distance, as well as W= PEa-PEb.
    The question reads:

The diagram shows an isolated point charge. Marked are four paths (A, B, C, and D) from a point (P1) to point (P2). The two points, P1 and P2, are equidistant from the charge. Rank the paths by the work required to move a positive charge from P1 to P2 from least to greatest.
    volt_path.png
    For some reason I feel like B will be the greatest, but I don't really have any basis for that to be honest.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What have you learned so far about Conservative Forces and Conservative Fields?

4. Mar 6, 2016 #3
    We've learned about electric fields and electric forces. I know E= ΔV/Δx, where V is voltage and x is distance in meters. And E= F/q where F is force and q is charge. I don't have any notes on "conservative forces or fields" but that also might be just because my professor is using different terminology?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted