1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done in moving a 1C positive charge from one point to another

1. Dec 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the Work done by the electric field E = axX - ay2y in moving a unit positive charge from position p1 (-2,0,0) to position p2 (5,-1,3) the distances are in m

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really experienced with forums therefore my attempted solution is an attached image.https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/15683157_1201819119912120_1486498649_n.jpg?oh=0aad954d8ecb161d62c98aa8d1d685e7&oe=585F5529
    is my displacement vector in my solution correct ? I did it as such because I have +ve displacement in the ax direction and -ve displacement in the ay direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The general way to represent an infinitesimal displacement is ##\vec{dl} = dx \, \hat{a}_x + dy \, \hat{a}_y + dz \, \hat{a}_z ##. The quantities ##dx##, ##dy##, and ##dz## could be positive, negative, or zero depending on the direction of the displacement. When you integrate with respect to ##y## from 0 to -1, ##dy## will be negative. You should not write ##\vec{dl} = dx \, \hat{a}_x - dy \, \hat{a}_y + dz \, \hat{a}_z ## with a negative sign for the y component. This would imply that the y component of displacement would be in the ##+\hat{a}_y## direction when ##dy## is negative.

4. Dec 23, 2016 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, can you explain why you have a negative sign in front of the integral in the expression ##W = -q\int{\vec{E} \cdot \vec{dl}}##? Keep in mind that you are asked to find the work done by the electric field, not the work done by an external agent.

5. Dec 23, 2016 #4
    Wow dude thanks for the reply..
    W=−q∫⃗E⋅→dl well I got the minus from the book, it's just like −∫⃗E⋅→dl for electrical potential apparently..
    Could you enlighten me perhaps and so as you said dl=dx^ax+dy^ay+dz^az always stands right the integration limits determine the rest .
    Thank you sir

6. Dec 23, 2016 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The definition of the work done by a force along a path from point ##a## to point ##b## is ##\int_a^b \vec{F} \cdot \vec{dl}##. There is no negative sign in the definition. Definitions of electric potential and electric potential energy will have a negative sign.

7. Dec 24, 2016 #6
    Awesome bro
    Thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted