1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphism between G and Z x Z_2 if G has a normal subgroup isomorphic to Z_2

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If G contains a normal subgroup H which is isomorphic to [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex], and if the corresponding quotient group is infinite cyclic, prove that G is isomorphic to [tex]\mathbb{Z}\times\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]G/H[/tex] is infinite cyclic, this means that any [tex]g\{h1,h2\}[/tex] is generated by some [tex]\gamma\{h1,h2\}[/tex] with [tex]\gamma\in G[/tex]. [tex]\gamma=g^n[/tex] because H is normal. But now?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2
    Do you know any general property of a group [tex]G[/tex] such that, when [tex]G[/tex] has this property and [tex]N[/tex] is a normal subgroup of [tex]G[/tex], you can conclude that [tex]G \cong N \times G/N[/tex]?

(Hint: in the direct product [tex]H \times K[/tex] of two groups, what is the relationship between the subgroups [tex]H \times 1[/tex] and [tex]1 \times K[/tex]?)

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3
    I do not know any general property of this kind... the subgroups H x 1 and 1 x K only have the identity in common and (H x 1)(1 x K)=H x K, but I do not see how this helps...

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4
    The "general property of [tex]G[/tex]" I was referring to is "[tex]G[/tex] is abelian". One way to understand the thing that makes direct products special is that the factors commute with each other: in the product above, [tex](h, 1)(1, k) = (1, k)(h, 1) = (h, k)[/tex].

In your original problem, what happens if [tex]G[/tex] is abelian? What happens if it's not?

6. Jan 16, 2010 #5
    I really do not understand... what is the use of the fact that the factors of the direct products commute with each other?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook