1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that an Abelian group of order pq is isomorphic to Z_pq

1. Mar 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that G is an abelian group of order pq, I need to show that G is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}_{pq}##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to do this by showing that G is always cyclic, and hence that isomorphism holds. If there is an element of order pq, then we immediately see that G is cyclic.

If there is an element x of order p, I want to show that the there is an element y not in the cyclic subgroup generated by x, such that the order of xy is pq, which would mean that G is cyclic, right. How could I go about doing this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2017 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

p and q aren't just any old numbers, right? You should state all of the premises explicitly. Can you say whether there are elements of order p and q?

4. Mar 16, 2017 #3
    Sorry. p and q are primes. By Lagrange, all of the element of G must be of order 1, p, q, or pq. THe identity is the only element of order 1. And if there is an element of order pq then G is autmatically cyclic. Now I want to show that if there are only elements of order p and q, that G is still cyclic

5. Mar 16, 2017 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know the theorem that tells you that if a prime p divides the order of G, then G has an element of order p? This would be a great help for your other thread as well.

6. Mar 16, 2017 #5
    Yes, I think that that is Cauchy's theorem

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  7. Mar 16, 2017 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is. That means you have an element ##a## of order p and another element ##b## of order q. What's the order of ##ab##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted