Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isothermal Magnetic Susceptibility

1. Apr 28, 2014 #1
    My book says that "in the mean field approximation, the isothermal magnetic susceptibility just below the Curie temperature goes as ##(T_c-T)^{-1}##". I need some help understanding how to get this proportionality. My book does not contain any derivation or further explanations.

According to my notes the isothermal magnetic susceptibility ##\chi_T## diverges near ##T_c##:

##\chi_T = \frac{\partial M}{\partial H} |_T##

Differentiating the equation of state we get:

##\frac{1}{k_B T} = \chi_T (1- \tau) +3M_s^2 \chi_T \left( \tau - \tau^2 + \frac{\tau^3}{3} \right)##

Where ##\tau=T_c/T##. If Ms=0 we get:

##\chi_T = \frac{1}{k_B}\frac{1}{T-T_c}##

But how do we get ##T_c - T## in the denominator? We need ##\chi_T \propto (T_c-T)^{-1}## NOT ##(T-T_c)^{-1}##. :confused:

Also are we justified to set magnetization to 0 for ##T<T_c##? I did this because the books says "just below the Curie temperature", so I assumed it's almost 0 just as it would be for ##T>T_c##.

Any explanation is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2014 #2
    Can you show the equation of state?
    Something is not right. If τ=Tc/T, at T<Tc this will be larger than 1 so 1-τ will be negative.
    So either kBT or the susceptibility should be negative in order to have that equation.

4. Apr 29, 2014 #3
    Thank you for your response. Unfortunately that information is not provided.

So how else can we demonstrate that magnetic susceptibility is inversely proportional to (Tc-T)? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted