Issue with opamp tending towards wrong rail under load

In summary, an issue with opamps occurs when they tend towards the wrong rail under load. This can happen due to various factors such as incorrect circuit design, mismatched components, or inadequate power supply. This issue can result in distorted output signals and affect the overall performance of the circuit. It is essential to carefully design and test opamp circuits to avoid this problem and ensure accurate and stable operation.
Dextrine
Hello everyone,

I am having an issue where the output of the op amp for the following circuit works fine under no load and allows me stable output voltage.

When I close the switch and apply the load, the output voltage decreases (as one would expect), however, the op amp output doesn't increase so the duty cycle doesn't increase and the voltage stays constantly below my target.

Any ideas as to what would make an opamp not give a higher output when the non-inverting pin is higher than the inverting pin? Have any of you encountered something like this before?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Prereg.jpg
    Prereg.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 459
Engineering news on Phys.org
Some op-amp outputs invert or latch, when the input voltages are close to the supply lines and out of the common mode range.

What is the make and model of the op-amp ?
What are the op-amp power supplies connected to ?
What are those supply voltages relative to ground ?

Likes Dextrine
Dextrine said:
I am having an issue where the output of the op amp for the following circuit works fine under no load and allows me stable output voltage.

upload_2016-11-10_18-47-2.png

Baluncore said:
What is the make and model of the op-amp ?
What are the op-amp power supplies connected to ?
What are those supply voltages relative to ground ?

and further to Baluncore's questions

what are the resistor values?
what is the load "resistor?" value ?
what is the capacitor value ?
what is the "output voltage on that point to the left of the reference voltage point ?Dave

Likes Dextrine
.. and another important aspect: There is no dc negative feedback. Therefore, the circuit will NOT work in case of real opamps resp. real opamp models. Only ideal models without any offset can be used.

Likes Dextrine
LvW said:
Only ideal models without any offset can be used.
I don't think that is the case. The op-amp is being used as an error amplifier, set up like a PID controller without the D. The capacitor forms a miller integrator, which Integrates the error voltage as charge in the capacitor, and so adapts to the required duty cycle. The series resistor provides the Proportional component.
The DC feedback passes through the PWM switched power supply that is not shown on the RHS of the diagram. That supply generates the “OutputVoltage” that enters the diagram on the LHS and so closes the feedback loop.

Likes Dextrine and davenn
Baluncore probably nailed it in post 2.
What is supply voltage ?
I learned that exact lesson with LM324 . It'll work with inputs at negative rail(0volts) but it can't handle input within 1.5 volts of + rail . To use it with a 5 volt input you must power it from at least 6.5 volts.
Try making reference voltage = half Vsupply and adjust divider ratio at Measured voltage.

Likes Dextrine
25 years ago I discovered that if the the output of an LM324 was insufficiently loaded, it produced a transient spike each cycle. When used as a high-Q filter, the LM324 ignored the input signal and locked to the internally generated transient spike.

Likes Dextrine
The op amp is a lm2902 (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2902-n.pdf).

The opamp inputs are around 5V and the op amp power supply is provided from my dc power supply at 13.5V, because of this, i think it may be unlikely due to being outside the common mode range.

The loads i have tried are 250R and 1K.

At 250R, the opamp output drops down lower than at 1K load. this is odd since with 250R, the inverting pin is even lower so you'd expect the opamp output to be even higher.

Just confirmed that even without the load, the opamp output is increasing when the - pin increases. So it seems as though in all cases, the opamp output is tending to behave like the - pin.

The LM2902 is an LM324. What are the other three op-amps in the package being used for?

You are looking at the performance of a loop that includes an unspecified component, namely the PWM switch. Check the polarity of that PWM switch. Does an increase in the PWM control signal voltage result in an increase in OutputVoltage? or have you accidentally built two inverters and cross connected them? Without a full circuit we cannot diagnose the problem.

Likes Dextrine
Dextrine said:
The op amp is a lm2902 (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2902-n.pdf).

The opamp inputs are around 5V and the op amp power supply is provided from my dc power supply at 13.5V, because of this, i think it may be unlikely due to being outside the common mode range.

The loads i have tried are 250R and 1K.

At 250R, the opamp output drops down lower than at 1K load. this is odd since with 250R, the inverting pin is even lower so you'd expect the opamp output to be even higher.

you didn't really answer all the questions

edit your circuit and show ALL component values. show ALL voltages including the pins to the op-amp

As Baluncore said, it's really difficult to help you with the lack on info from youDave

Likes Dextrine
Dextrine said:
op amp power supply is provided from my dc power supply at 13.5V, because of this, i think it may be unlikely due to being outside the common mode range.
agreed. Perhaps you'll add that to your drawing ?

Are you reading everything with a DC meter ? Which of course reports average ?

How did @Baluncore figure this out ?
Baluncore said:
The op-amp is being used as an error amplifier, set up like a PID controller without the D. The capacitor forms a miller integrator, which Integrates the error voltage as charge in the capacitor, and so adapts to the required duty cycle. The series resistor provides the Proportional component.
The DC feedback passes through the PWM switched power supply that is not shown on the RHS of the diagram. That supply generates the “OutputVoltage” that enters the diagram on the LHS and so closes the feedback loop.
Well THAT certainly changes things.
First thing i'd do is take AC readings at same points. That'll tell you if you have built a giant closed loop oscillator.
Better yet hang a scope on it.

Likes Dextrine
A bit of a late reply, but I figured out what was wrong. In case anyone else ever encounters a similar problem, what I found was that I accidentally had one of the op amp rails grounded to another part of my circuit. Fixing this got rid of the error. So just a heads up to anyone (especially beginners with soldering) make sure everything is connected where it should be and NOWHERE else! Thanks everyone for all the replies and all the help.

Likes davenn

1. What is an opamp and how does it work?

An opamp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic circuit component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It typically has a high gain and is used in a variety of applications, such as signal processing and control systems.

2. What is meant by "tending towards wrong rail" in relation to opamps?

"Tending towards wrong rail" refers to when the output voltage of an opamp approaches one of its power supply rails, typically the positive or negative rail, but does not reach it. This can happen due to various factors, such as the input voltage being too high or the opamp being overworked.

3. What is causing the issue with the opamp tending towards the wrong rail under load?

There could be several reasons for this issue, including inadequate power supply, incorrect feedback circuit design, or insufficient stability of the opamp. It is important to carefully analyze the circuit and identify the root cause of the problem.

4. How can I fix the problem of the opamp tending towards the wrong rail under load?

The solution to this issue depends on the specific cause identified. It could involve adjusting the power supply, adding compensation components to the feedback circuit, or modifying the circuit layout. Consulting with an experienced engineer or conducting further testing and analysis may be necessary to determine the best course of action.

5. Are there any precautions I can take to prevent this issue with opamps?

Yes, there are a few precautions that can help prevent this issue. These include using a stable and adequate power supply, ensuring proper decoupling of the opamp, and carefully designing the feedback circuit. It is also important to select an opamp with appropriate specifications for the intended application.