[itex]\int\frac{n}{(n^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex]= itself w/ Partial Fractions

In summary, the website says that when you do partial fractions on a function, the function separates into a telescoping form. However, this function does not separate into a telescoping form when partial fractions are applied to it. Therefore, a trig substitution is needed to get the integration done.
Lebombo

Homework Statement

Why when I try to evaluate this with Partial Fractions, why do I end up with the original function?
[itex]\int\frac{n}{(n^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{n}{(n^{2}+1)(n^{2}+1)}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Ax+B}{n^{2}+1} + \frac{Cx+D}{(n^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex]

1n = (An+B)(n^{2}+1) + Cx + D

[itex]0n^{3}+ 0n^{2} + 1n + 0n^{0} = n^{3}(A) + n^{2}(B) + n(A+C) + n^{0}(B+D)[/itex]

A=0 B=0 C=1 D=0

[itex]\frac{0n+0}{n^{2}+1} + \frac{1n+0}{(n^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex]

= 0 + [itex]\frac{n}{(n^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
That website looks all scrambled up. Nothing seems to be aligned. Which part pertains to why this particular function ends up to simply be itself?

By the way, when I do u-sub on this function I get 1/4 and when I do partial fractions I get -1/4. Is that a sign mistake?

Also, the basis for this question was actually in regards to the series of the function in question.

I was trying to do partial fractions to create a telescoping function to evaluate the series. But partial fractions doesn't separate this function into telescoping series.

So my follow up questions is: Why does this function not separate into a telescoping form if Partial fractions can be applied to it?

Lebombo,
What you're saying doesn't make a lot of sense. As you've seen, partial fractions leads you right back to the exact same integrand, so I don't see how you were able to carry out the integration that way. Substitution is the way to go here.

The integral looks like it would be amenable to a trig substitution, but that seems like a lot of work when an ordinary substitution would do the trick.

Likes 1 person
Lebombo said:
That website looks all scrambled up. Nothing seems to be aligned. Which part pertains to why this particular function ends up to simply be itself?

The site works fine with Chrome on my laptop. Check your browser!

The website page goes over the method in detail, with a few examples. A review of the method may help you to find any problems with your technique.

Wolfram Alpha says: ## n^2/(n^2+1) = 1-1/(n^2+1) ##

Likes 1 person
IDK why you want to use partial fractions anyway. You've plainly got a case for a u substitution, no partial fractions or trig substitution required.

Likes 1 person
I don't see the need of a trig substitution. There is a very obvious substitution you can use as SteamKing has said.

Likes 1 person
I just [thought I] saw an opportunity to practice a partial fraction from the past chapter while working on series.

Thanks all.

What is the purpose of using partial fractions in this integral?

The purpose of using partial fractions in this integral is to break down a complex rational function into simpler fractions that can be easily integrated. This allows for a more efficient and manageable solution to the integral.

How do you determine the partial fraction decomposition for this integral?

To determine the partial fraction decomposition, we first factor the denominator of the rational function. Then, we use the method of equating coefficients to find the unknown coefficients of the simpler fractions. Finally, we rewrite the original integral as a sum of the simpler fractions.

What is the general form of the partial fraction decomposition for this integral?

The general form of the partial fraction decomposition for this integral is [itex]\frac{A}{n} + \frac{B}{n^2+1} + \frac{Cn+D}{(n^2+1)^2}[/itex], where A, B, C, and D are unknown coefficients to be determined.

What restrictions should be considered when using partial fractions for this integral?

Some restrictions to consider when using partial fractions for this integral are that the degree of the numerator must be less than the degree of the denominator and that the denominator must be factorable into linear and/or quadratic terms.

How does using partial fractions simplify the integration process for this integral?

Using partial fractions simplifies the integration process for this integral by breaking down a complex rational function into simpler fractions, making it easier to find the antiderivative for each term. This also allows for the use of basic integration techniques for each term, such as substitution or integration by parts.