1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[itex]\int\frac{n}{(n^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex]= itself w/ Partial Fractions

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Why when I try to evaluate this with Partial Fractions, why do I end up with the original function?

[itex]\int\frac{n}{(n^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{n}{(n^{2}+1)(n^{2}+1)}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Ax+B}{n^{2}+1} + \frac{Cx+D}{(n^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex]

1n = (An+B)(n^{2}+1) + Cx + D

[itex]0n^{3}+ 0n^{2} + 1n + 0n^{0} = n^{3}(A) + n^{2}(B) + n(A+C) + n^{0}(B+D)[/itex]

A=0 B=0 C=1 D=0

[itex]\frac{0n+0}{n^{2}+1} + \frac{1n+0}{(n^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex]

= 0 + [itex]\frac{n}{(n^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Nov 8, 2013 #3
    That website looks all scrambled up. Nothing seems to be aligned. Which part pertains to why this particular function ends up to simply be itself?

By the way, when I do u-sub on this function I get 1/4 and when I do partial fractions I get -1/4. Is that a sign mistake?

Also, the basis for this question was actually in regards to the series of the function in question.

I was trying to do partial fractions to create a telescoping function to evaluate the series. But partial fractions doesn't separate this function into telescoping series.

So my follow up questions is: Why does this function not separate into a telescoping form if Partial fractions can be applied to it?

5. Nov 8, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Lebombo,
    What you're saying doesn't make a lot of sense. As you've seen, partial fractions leads you right back to the exact same integrand, so I don't see how you were able to carry out the integration that way. Substitution is the way to go here.

The integral looks like it would be amenable to a trig substitution, but that seems like a lot of work when an ordinary substitution would do the trick.

6. Nov 8, 2013 #5

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The site works fine with Chrome on my laptop. Check your browser!

The web site page goes over the method in detail, with a few examples. A review of the method may help you to find any problems with your technique.

Wolfram Alpha says: ## n^2/(n^2+1) = 1-1/(n^2+1) ##

7. Nov 9, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IDK why you want to use partial fractions anyway. You've plainly got a case for a u substitution, no partial fractions or trig substitution required.

8. Nov 9, 2013 #7
    I don't see the need of a trig substitution. There is a very obvious substitution you can use as SteamKing has said.

9. Nov 9, 2013 #8
    I just [thought I] saw an opportunity to practice a partial fraction from the past chapter while working on series.

Thanks all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted