I've been thinking about getting into something in Optics, but I don't

In summary, the conversation revolves around someone's interest in getting into optics and their search for information on the different courses and areas of study related to optics. They are advised to consult with professors and consider getting a degree in physics, which would cover many aspects of optics. Several recommended resources for further information are also provided.
Drakkith
Mentor
I've been thinking about getting into something in Optics, but I don't know anything about the different courses and such. Anyone here have any suggestions or know a good source of info on getting into optics?

Physics news on Phys.org

Umm, I don't think I'm looking for a textbook.

What specifically are you looking for??

micromass said:
What specifically are you looking for??

Just some general info on the different areas of optics and what kind of courses I would need to look into when I go back to college. I apologize, I'm having a difficult time describing what I want. This is why I don't usually ask questions lol.

Drakkith said:
Just some general info on the different areas of optics and what kind of courses I would need to look into when I go back to college. I apologize, I'm having a difficult time describing what I want. This is why I don't usually ask questions lol.

I can't really help you with that. Perhaps another member might give more information. However, perhaps you should see one of your professors about this?? Tell her/him that you are interested in optics and that you would like some tips about it.
After all, we don't know your specific college, so we don't know the courses available to you. Professors will be much more helpful. Also, you might want to ask them about undergrad research!

I hope that was a little helpful.

I'm not in college at the moment. I just got my associates from the community college of the Air Force and I need to get back into the grind.
There pretty much isn't anyone I can ask anywhere here that would actually know anything. I'd have to go around to the schools, of which the big one here, LSUS, doesn't do optics as far as I know.

Get a degree in physics. You'll learn optics in one of your introductory courses. Most programs also offer an upper level course in optics as well. Places such as University of Rochester and University of Arizona also offer a degree in optics. Some have optical engineering as well. Essentially what Rochester and Arizona offer I believe.

edit: I haven't used this, but I found it just googling
http://www.opticseducation.org/

Drakkith said:

I'm not sure how to respond- Optics uses E&M (obviously), but also concepts from electrical engineering (signal processing and communications theory), solid state/condensed matter (optical devices and nonlinear optics), atomic and molecular physics (spectroscopy), computation (image processing and reconstruction), thermodynamics (radiometry)...

Try starting with these, see if it is what you had in mind: I tried to pick ones that are at the advanced undergraduate level.

David Brady, "Optical Imaging and Spectroscopy"
Emil Wolf, "Introduction to the Theory of Coherence and Polarization of Light"
Tony Siegman, "Lasers"
MIL-HDBK-141 "Military Standardization Handbook: Optical Design" (available online at http://www.optics.arizona.edu/ot/opti502/MIL_HDBK_141.html )

Finally, ERIM's multivolume "Infrared and Electro-Optic Systems Handbook" and the Optical Society of America's multivolume "Handbook of Optics" are references without peer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks!

What is Optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the instruments used to detect and measure it.

What are some potential applications of Optics?

Optics has a wide range of applications, including but not limited to: telecommunications, medicine and healthcare, astronomy, photography, microscopy, and laser technology.

What skills are needed to work in Optics?

To work in Optics, you would need a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail.

What are some potential career options in Optics?

With a background in Optics, you could pursue careers in various industries such as telecommunications, healthcare, aerospace, defense, and research and development. Some job titles include Optical Engineer, Optical Scientist, Laser Technician, and Optics Researcher.

How can I get started in Optics?

If you are interested in Optics, you can start by taking courses in physics and mathematics in high school. In college, you can major in physics or a related field and then specialize in Optics at the graduate level. It is also helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities in Optics labs.