I've done high school twice,which marks to mention in Uni application?

In summary, the speaker is from Delhi, India and completed their 12th grade exams with science subjects two years ago, scoring 44% overall. They chose to retake the exams, known as "improvement examinations," to improve their marks and ended up with an overall percentage of 55%. The improvement exam mark sheet displays the scores but does not indicate pass or fail, as per government norms. The speaker is now in a dilemma whether to submit their old mark sheet or the improvement one when applying to South Korean universities. They are hoping to study Astronomy and have done asteroid discoveries and built a VLF antenna/radio telescope, which they believe will strengthen their university application. They are seeking advice on which mark sheet to submit and
golu14
heyy

im from delhi, india.

i completed my 12th grade 2 years ago with science subjects and scored 44% overall.

to improve my marks, i did my 12th grade again by giving 'improvement examinations'

(improvement examinations are normal 12th grade/high school final exams that take place every year, that anyone who has passed high school already can give next year, but the candidate can choose specific subjects in which he/she wants to give or not give the exams, then when the result comes out, the overall percentage considered for admission in indian universities is of the best marks, that is, for every subject, the better score out of the two mark sheets will be considered, and even if a candidate fails in a subject in the improvement examination even then, the previous, better score will be considered, at least in india.)

so now I am in a dilemma, because even tho i cleared the high school first time but in my improvement examination i happen to fail in physics (but my overall percentage increased from 44% to 55%)

my improvement exam mark sheet displays the scores but does not say fail or pass, it just says 'appeared for improvement' because officially as per the govt norms I am already passed.

it is up to me what mark sheet i want to use, if i want only the previous mark sheet to be used for consideration then its is completely legit to do so.

now i am going to apply to south korean universities and i don't know if i should just produce to them the old mark sheet or the improvement one too? because its very complicated and they probably won't consider the second mark sheet and may assume that i failed in the second attempt?

im going to try for Astronomy major, if i cannot get admitted in that then i will try in other courses in the next session.

i have done a few asteroid discoveries and also have built a vlf antenna/radio telescope on my roof top, which will soon also have a website with all its live data, my marks and chances of getting accepted are low but i think this will help my university application?

thanks for reading through, i couldn't think of another place to ask this question :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless someone comes along here who knows something about South Korean universities, I think you should ask this question directly to the universities that you are applying to (their admissions offices, that is).

What does it mean to have done high school twice?

Doing high school twice means that a student has repeated one or more years of high school. This may be due to personal reasons, academic struggles, or transferring schools.

Do I need to mention both sets of marks in my university application?

Yes, it is important to mention both sets of marks in your university application. Admissions committees will want to see your entire academic record, including any repeated years, to get a complete understanding of your academic performance.

Which marks should I prioritize mentioning in my application?

You should prioritize mentioning the marks from your most recent attempt at high school. This will show your most current academic abilities and progress.

Will repeating high school affect my chances of getting into university?

Repeating high school may have an impact on your chances of getting into university, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. They will also look at your overall academic performance, extracurricular activities, and personal statement.

Is it necessary to explain why I repeated high school in my application?

While it is not necessary to explain why you repeated high school, it can be helpful for admissions committees to have context for your academic record. If there were any extenuating circumstances that led to repeating high school, it may be beneficial to mention them in your personal statement or have a letter of explanation from a teacher or counselor.