I've finally hit a wall with math

• Thread starter MarcZZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary: I would recommend that you seek out a tutor who specializes in teaching calculus. I think your chemistry advisor may be able to direct you to a tutor who would be a good fit for you.If you have a question about the material or would like clarification on something, feel free to ask.In summary, the person is struggling in math and is considering dropping their chemistry major. They are discouraged with their math ability and are considering taking additional math courses in order to improve their confidence. They are considering a tutor for help.
micromass said:
Hitting a wall is very common in science.

Math is not a science.

Physics news on Phys.org
Best Pokemon said:
Math is not a science.

Mathematics is a part of physics. Physics is an experimental science, a part of natural science. Mathematics is the part of physics where experiments are cheap.

See, I can do one-liners without justification too. I'll credit the above quote to V.I. Arnold by the way: http://pauli.uni-muenster.de/~munsteg/arnold.html

Last edited:
This thread got real silly, real fast. I can't tell if we're being trolled or not. I will say this:

No one is denying the existence of talent; almost everyone is denying that it is the most important factor in one's success in mathematics. There is a substantial body of anecdotal evidence that supports the claim that hard work, not innate talent, is the most important attribute. This body of evidence continues to accrue, from giants in the field and from unknowns. The only argument opposed to this is also supported by anecdotal evidence. However, that evidence is substantially less than that in favor of the previous claim.

The claim that people have a "mathematical limit" is just not substantiated by anything mentioned in this thread. What form does this limit take? How is it determined? How is it measured?

It's an arbitrary restriction with little or no grounding in reality. It's also conflating difficulty in a subject with an inability to do a subject. Terry Tao links to an interesting article about "gifted" students that discusses something similar; the main point of the article suggests that students told that they are intelligent are much more likely to give up, or get depressed, when they don't immediately grasp a concept. They equate it with being unintelligent and because intelligence is linked with their identity, it's a staggering blow. Students praised for their effort instead approach it as simply another obstacle, not as a reflection of their innate worth or value.

The premise that people have a mathematical limit seems to be based on the idea that people that don't have such limits will breeze through every undergraduate and graduate math class without batting an eyelash. I'd like to meet such a person. They can sign my autograph book, right next to Iron Man and the Scarlet Pimpernel.