I've finally hit a wall with math

• Thread starter MarcZZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary: I would recommend that you seek out a tutor who specializes in teaching calculus. I think your chemistry advisor may be able to direct you to a tutor who would be a good fit for you.If you have a question about the material or would like clarification on something, feel free to ask.In summary, the person is struggling in math and is considering dropping their chemistry major. They are discouraged with their math ability and are considering taking additional math courses in order to improve their confidence. They are considering a tutor for help.
MarcZZ
Hi folks, I'm just going to cut to the chase. I'm not sure I can survive my Chemistry major, as I am being tormented by my performance in math. I need to take 5 math courses (Calc I, II, II, LA I, and ODE I) of those I've completed two Calc I (84%) and LA I (51%) and am now taking Calc II and I'm not doing very well in it (I got a 30% on the first midterm...) and have now taken desperate measures to get a tutor so I can pass this course. However the damage I think has been done with these courses and I'm seriously questioning my ability to get through my Chemistry degree even though I'm getting A's in both my Chemistry and Physics (Electricity and Magnetism) course. Do complicate measures further when I went to my academic advising center they suggested I may have developed a math test anxiety which is killing me on all my tests. What do I do??

Edit: I should mention, that I am very discouraged with my math abilities right now. I DO WANT TO LEARN IT. It's just that I'm not sure how these failures will reflect on me when it comes to future job prospects and such. With that LA course I got a 12% on the first midterm and worked my butt off to pass. I'm just wondering if I should retake these courses so I know I can do well to build confidence before I continue on with Chemistry. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're doing well in physics but not calc II, and you did well in calc I, you shouldn't consider this an ability thing. But without seeing what went wrong on your test(s), it's hard to really suggest anything... Were you missing the big picture, or just making small mistakes that you groan over later, like missing negatives or blanking on formulas?

If your problem is test anxiety rather than ability, I like this list: http://www-ugs.csusb.edu/sail/study_skills/overcomingtestanxiety.pdf

I like it because it goes beyond the standard "get plenty of sleep, eat a good breakfast, relax", because those never help. I do that anyway! I think when it comes to test anxiety, the most important thing is to take your time and remember to look at the minute details. Also, one of the things on the list is to remember that bad scores or overall grades do NOT make you a failure. You can still get a chemistry degree and become successful in your field if you have to re-take a class or two. It takes some people longer than others to really get things, especially in courses as hard as calc II.

As for whether you should re-take courses even though you've passed... that's really up to you. Some might find it enough to do extensive reviews over the summers instead, but if you have the money and are willing to possibly extend your degree by a semester or so, then go for it. But I think for certain disciplines there are aspects of things like LA and calc that matter more than in others, so it might be enough to study on your own if you're able to pass your classes. If you're planning on going to grad school, then I would say ask your advisor how your grades will affect the admissions process down the line.

Hey MarcZZ and welcome to the forums.

My suggestion is to use your resources: this forum is but one resource that you can use where you have access to quite a number of people who have a lot of experience and also a way to explain something from a point of view that can make things make sense.

If you are not acqainted with mathematics or see the symbols instead of the ideas, then consider posing a question somewhere and if its well posed and thought out and you have shown effort in its construction, then someone (usually many) are bound to answer it.

Sadly, most people have a limit in grasping higher mathematics, yours may be calculus.

We all have our differences, but one thing about a good teacher is that they can make something like ridiculously easy when compared to another teacher who can make something ridiculously hard.

Most people look at math and see symbols, rules and formulas, instead of ideas that can be related to things that are intuitive to them.

Good teachers extract the ideas and bad teachers emphasize the cryptic symbols without any intuition.

Let's not make hasty conclusions. I earnestly believe anyone can learn the material in Calc II to at least the level to pass the course. From what I understand, the day to day life of Chemist after their undergrad isn't so mathematically intense. Keep in mind I have limited relations with chemist, but there is one I knew quite well who is quite successful working for some oil company, and he probably can't tell you anything about calculus. In fact, I'm fairly certain he barely passed it.

You may have formed test anxiety over Mathematics due to the level of stress. I offer no solution, but just simple encouragement that I do believe with enough work and help you can overcome your challenge and go on with your education. Calculus II, for a lot of students, seems to be a stumbling block, but even so, a lot of students end up passing it.

Calc 2 will seriously come up again. The most important math classes for chemists is going to be calc 1-3 and linear algebra and ODE... well that's all your math requirements actually. But calc 2 is absolutely essential. It comes up in every single important chemistry class: quantum chemistry, stat mech, chemical kinetics, thermo, quantitative analysis, molecular spectroscopy, etc. You also MUST know single variable integration like the back of your hand to tackle calc 3 and ODEs.

Here's the thing: integration is first off extremely nontrivial mathematically. That said, there's methods to the madness.

First is to realize that problems in Calc 2 come in only 5 basic forms:

1. U substitution
2. Integration by Parts
3. Partial Fractions
4. Completing the Square
5. Trig Substitution

The most important skill is to recognize which method will solve what type of integral, then apply that method.

I'm at the point where I can't understand anything, and if I waste my time on this course I feel like I'm going to hurt my Physics and Chemistry marks, should I just let this one go, and retry it later, and do a strategic fail so I know what material I'm facing next time around? Thanks.

Everyone hits a mathematical wall eventually the trick is whether or not you can power through it and finish anyways. Anyone can, just takes patience, practice, and devotion. I would say even if you end up failing stick out the class your bound to learn something, but still try and do the work.

Last edited:
Keep giving it your best: worst case scenario is you have to retake the course, which is not the end of the world. Don't overreact and drop your entire degree plan because you're struggling in a course.

I will probably be retaking abstract algebra next semester. It is not ideal, but a lot of it just isn't sinking in like I want it to. This is not an indication that I need to drop my major, I just need more time. I believe the same is true for you. Stick with it and it'll eventually "click."

Ok I'll stick through the course and do what I can. However, I'm going to turn all my focus to Physics and Chemistry, as I think this one is kind of a lost cause by this point.

Group_Complex said:
Sadly, most people have a limit in grasping higher mathematics, yours may be calculus.

When does higher mathematics begin?

Best Pokemon said:

Usually when one takes a course in which the primary focus is proving theorems.

Best Pokemon said:

It's the first class where you work *really really* hard yet still don't get an A.

Best Pokemon said:

Wherever you happen to be, it is usually said to be 3 steps higher.

I am having this same problem. I breezed through calc 1-3, diff eq, and linear algebra. Now I am in Complex Variables and I am DYING. I go into my professors office for help every time she has office hours, and I still am barely passing the class. I am generally an A student, but I only am pulling off a C in her class AFTER a 20% curve. As a matter of fact, only one person has an A in there affter the curve. I hope this is not indicative of my ability in maths as a whole.

Hercuflea said:
I am having this same problem. I breezed through calc 1-3, diff eq, and linear algebra. Now I am in Complex Variables and I am DYING. I go into my professors office for help every time she has office hours, and I still am barely passing the class. I am generally an A student, but I only am pulling off a C in her class AFTER a 20% curve. As a matter of fact, only one person has an A in there affter the curve. I hope this is not indicative of my ability in maths as a whole.

If you are going to office hours and studying before exams then it probably is an indication that you are reaching your mathematical limit.

MarcZZ said:
Hi folks, I'm just going to cut to the chase. I'm not sure I can survive my Chemistry major, as I am being tormented by my performance in math. I need to take 5 math courses (Calc I, II, II, LA I, and ODE I) of those I've completed two Calc I (84%) and LA I (51%) and am now taking Calc II and I'm not doing very well in it (I got a 30% on the first midterm...) and have now taken desperate measures to get a tutor so I can pass this course. However the damage I think has been done with these courses and I'm seriously questioning my ability to get through my Chemistry degree even though I'm getting A's in both my Chemistry and Physics (Electricity and Magnetism) course. Do complicate measures further when I went to my academic advising center they suggested I may have developed a math test anxiety which is killing me on all my tests. What do I do??

Edit: I should mention, that I am very discouraged with my math abilities right now. I DO WANT TO LEARN IT. It's just that I'm not sure how these failures will reflect on me when it comes to future job prospects and such. With that LA course I got a 12% on the first midterm and worked my butt off to pass. I'm just wondering if I should retake these courses so I know I can do well to build confidence befor
e I continue on with Chemistry. Thanks.

There are always trades and traineeships. Get out of university while you're young. It can be a life ruiner.

I find the above responsive a bit extreme. The guy is having problem in math and doing well in his other classes, so therefore he should quit and and do something else entirely? Seriously?

I think a good number of people struggle in one area in college. It happens. You might fail. That happens too! But guess what, you figure out why and overcome it. I failed Physics I when I was 18 and just out of high school. I dropped out of college, went to the military, got out and went back to college and passed it was a 98. Not only passed that course, but every other physics course I encountered afterward.

While you can argue I matured a bit and learn to study. The thing is that when I was failing Physics I with a 40, I went to the professor daily with help, I went to nearly every study group. I just could not pass a test for the life of me. During my time in the military, I spent a lot of time talking to a lot of different people, but one person who helped me the most was an Officer with a math degree, and he taught me a new way to study that I just wasn't aware of when I was an 18 year old kid. So, what does this mean? You can overcome this. Don't let the negativity from others keep you from trying to obtain your goals.

MarneMath said:
I find the above responsive a bit extreme. The guy is having problem in math and doing well in his other classes, so therefore he should quit and and do something else entirely? Seriously?

I think a good number of people struggle in one area in college. It happens. You might fail. That happens too! But guess what, you figure out why and overcome it. I failed Physics I when I was 18 and just out of high school. I dropped out of college, went to the military, got out and went back to college and passed it was a 98. Not only passed that course, but every other physics course I encountered afterward.

While you can argue I matured a bit and learn to study. The thing is that when I was failing Physics I with a 40, I went to the professor daily with help, I went to nearly every study group. I just could not pass a test for the life of me. During my time in the military, I spent a lot of time talking to a lot of different people, but one person who helped me the most was an Officer with a math degree, and he taught me a new way to study that I just wasn't aware of when I was an 18 year old kid. So, what does this mean? You can overcome this. Don't let the negativity from others keep you from trying to obtain your goals.

Nah I know everything about life.

MarneMath said:

As long as his goal is not to become a Mathematician. I am sorry, but some people just have a better aptitude for mathematics and physics than others, and it may get to a point where all apptitude is gone.

Last edited:
"Attitude not aptitude determines altitude."

Anyone can go far in math.

MathWarrior said:
"Attitude not aptitude determines altitude."

Anyone can go far in math.

If by far you mean do mathematical research then that is clearly not true.

Group_Complex said:
If you are going to office hours and studying before exams then it probably is an indication that you are reaching your mathematical limit.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/skeptical-hippo

This is bull, studying for complex variables will not be the same as studying for calc 1-3; it doesn't mean they've reached a limit it means they're studying the wrong way.

Group_Complex said:

Group_Complex said:
As long as his goal is not to become a Mathematician. I am sorry, but some people just have a better aptitude for mathematics and physics than others, and it may get to a point where all apptitude is gone.

Group_Complex said:
If by far you mean do mathematical research then that is clearly not true.

Got anything to back up these statements??

micromass said:
Got anything to back up these statements??

Of course he doesn't. If you read his other posts he has concerns about doubting his own ability so he comes on here and tries to make others feel bad.

DrummingAtom said:
Of course he doesn't. If you read his other posts he has concerns about doubting his own ability so he comes on here and tries to make others feel bad.

I know it's rubbish, but I thought I would give him a chance to defend himself.

DrummingAtom said:
Everyone was thinking this but you were the only one brave enough to say it :p

Yes, I can't believe what I'm reading about "mathematical limit" and "mathematical walls" and so forth. Full on, unmitigated BS.

There are so many conditions that can determine how you are doing in a class. The time spent, the quality of the time, the quality of the teaching, the resources, how pedantic your teacher is in grading, etc. (Note the absence of the word "aptitude.")

In the scope of your entire career, of which your degree is but one part, and your classes a part of that, your math classes at this point are just a particular hurdle you're going to have to figure out. There is no one answer. You might have to retake a class. You might have to take less classes so you can spend more time on it (and yes, this is more time and possibly tuition.)

There's teacher office hours, online resources (khan academy!), supplemental books, this forum, tutors, improved study habits, repetition, pondering, brute force of will, commitment, time management, stress reduction, meditation, diet, sleep, and exercise. Note again the absence of the word aptitude.

By the way - what kind of things are holding you back? Is it little "dumb mistakes" or a failure to grasp some of the concepts? What might be mischaracterized as "aptitude" is often just some sort of neurological brain fart (a.d.d., dyscalcula/dyslexia, working memory problems, etc.) that can be addressed in direct ways.

-Dave K

DrummingAtom said:

Ah, so Group complex has a complex. And one other guy was probably being sarcastic. So 60% of the replies here are pretty much bogus.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
Yes, I can't believe what I'm reading about "mathematical limit" and "mathematical walls" and so forth. Full on, unmitigated BS.

There are so many conditions that can determine how you are doing in a class. The time spent, the quality of the time, the quality of the teaching, the resources, how pedantic your teacher is in grading, etc. (Note the absence of the word "aptitude.")

In the scope of your entire career, of which your degree is but one part, and your classes a part of that, your math classes at this point are just a particular hurdle you're going to have to figure out. There is no one answer. You might have to retake a class. You might have to take less classes so you can spend more time on it (and yes, this is more time and possibly tuition.)

There's teacher office hours, online resources (khan academy!), supplemental books, this forum, tutors, improved study habits, repetition, pondering, brute force of will, commitment, time management, stress reduction, meditation, diet, sleep, and exercise. Note again the absence of the word aptitude.

By the way - what kind of things are holding you back? Is it little "dumb mistakes" or a failure to grasp some of the concepts? What might be mischaracterized as "aptitude" is often just some sort of neurological brain fart (a.d.d., dyscalcula/dyslexia, working memory problems, etc.) that can be addressed in direct ways.

-Dave K

It's just kind of a mix of a bunch of things. Firstly, I underestimated the course and what I needed to study, I suppose I came off feeling a little to sure of my footing from Calculus I and thought that I would be able to grasp integrals as readily as I grasped derivatives (big mistake), I did study and I did all my assignments and did well on them, and managed to answer most of the bonus questions in the book that my professor recommended. However, come test day I went in with about 3 days previous worth of pretty solid math concept practice behind me and I just got absolutely clobbered and only managed to get 30% on the midterm, (the class average was 39%) unfortunately this midterm was weighted as 20% of my mark so I took a huge beating from it. I know it's not the end of the world one bad midterm, but since then I feel I've been struggling to catch up, I went to the professor, I've gotten a tutor, I'm doing whatever I can to try to get ready for the next midterm. However it's next week, and I don't think I'm going to perform well on it, my grades have gone down in my recent assignments, and I'm not understanding the material.

I would invest even more time into this course but by now I'm just completely stressed out, I'm also juggling another nasty time sucking course (E&M) which I'm doing very well in thanks to hard work, and I am very weary of trying to save Calculus II which I don't think I'm going to be able to salvage this semester anyways by this point, and risk killing my E&M mark at the same time. I am just really bothered as I had a similar thing happen to me in LA last semester where I got a (12%) on my first midterm, though I survived that course through sheer grit and all nighters. But I'm not pleased with the mark I got in that course, and I don't have the determination to do that this time as I have practically 0 confidence. My academic advising center has suggested I've developed a math test anxiety. I most certainly have some sort, as I feel stress is obstructing everything I do with this course.

I'm already behind in my studies when I came into university I failed my MPT which set me back a semester last year, then I had second doubts about what I want to major in so took some different courses, now I have a good idea, however I don't think I'll be able to handle the major I'm aiming for if I can't handle 3 tough courses at once, I just feel I'm never going to graduate and that I can't afford to keep treading water in university anymore trying to juggle courses which I'm not passing, and getting nowhere. I haven't failed a course yet, and I have a reasonably high average outside of math (3.7 in Chem, 3.5 in Physics), but I'm just getting slaughtered in math and worried that this is a sign of things to come, and I can't afford to keep taking reduced course load semesters just so I can pass math courses.

I'm in a particular pickle with this course as it is a co-requisite for the Physics I'm doing well in, so if I drop it I won't be able to finish my Physics course, and then I totally waste tons of money this semester for nothing. But I'm destined to get a F on my transcript which I hear has negative ramifications for job prospects afterwards. I'm kind of just wondering if I should go to trade school, because my job prospects afterwards might be ruined by these bad math grades. :/

dkotschessaa at least makes some sense. At least doesn't seem too extreme or onesided. Some sensible points are made: Posts #30 and 31.

Aptitude has some significance in learning Mathematics, but effort and studying intelligently are still mandatory. Some people learn Mathematics slower than others. The educational systems are set to make some of them feel bad. Basically if you not pass a course, you must retake it. If you retake it too many times, the school prohibits you from retaking it again - but you should have gotten the help you needed before that.

So, I think it's pretty clear that this has nothing to do with aptitude. It's stress, time, and a whole bunch of other factors.

I've never heard of a job asking for transcripts! They look at the degree, maybe what classes you had, what other kinds of things you have done (research, internships, etc). Have you not heard "D is for diploma!" Maybe you won't get the highest honors, etc, which of course we all want. There's lots of stuff you can do.

Talk honestly to your advisors and professors about your concern for your grades and co-requisites and what not, and see what they say. I mean really honestly, like "I'm stuck and I'm freaking out." They want you to do well, and at least get your degree, even if it feels like they are trying to kill you. That co-req/pre-req stuf stuff is not always as set in stone as it looks...Sometimes they can be flexible, especially if you are doing well in other classes and showing commitment.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
So, I think it's pretty clear that this has nothing to do with aptitude. It's stress, time, and a whole bunch of other factors.

I've never heard of a job asking for transcripts! They look at the degree, maybe what classes you had, what other kinds of things you have done (research, internships, etc). Have you not heard "D is for diploma!" Maybe you won't get the highest honors, etc, which of course we all want. There's lots of stuff you can do.

Talk honestly to your advisors and professors about your concern for your grades and co-requisites and what not, and see what they say. I mean really honestly, like "I'm stuck and I'm freaking out." They want you to do well, and at least get your degree, even if it feels like they are trying to kill you. That co-req/pre-req stuf stuff is not always as set in stone as it looks...Sometimes they can be flexible, especially if you are doing well in other classes and showing commitment.

-Dave K

I suppose you could say that my aptitude is gone because of stress and loss of confidence. :/ Do you think I should just focus on my Physics and Chem whilst trying to pick up what I can from Calc II to have another go at it, or should I just try to pass it right now. I know I will probably seriously hurt my Physics marks if I do so, and I really don't want to do that. I would almost rather fail a course and get A's in the other 2, than get a D in Calc and a C in Physics. :|