IVP and Existence/Uniqueness Problems

• Thread starter dorado29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp
In summary, it seems that the region where the existence and uniqueness of the solution is guaranteed is all t, but the solution exists for all t values if x'' = f(t, x, x').
dorado29
I'm working on a problem for my diffEQ's class. It reads:

For each of the given initial value problems, what is the region where the existence and uniqueness of the solution is guaranteed? Is it all t, or t > -3, or a neighborhood of t = 1?

a) x'' = t x x' + sin(t)
b) x'' = tx + 2x' + sin(t)
c) (t+3)x'' = tx +2x' + sin(t)

The initial values given for a, b and c are all x(1) = 5 and x'(1) = 2

My thoughts/ attempts:

It seems that a, b and c are all linear. In my book (my professor wrote it), it says that

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If f(t, x, x') is a continuously differentiable function, then the initial value problem has exactly one solution for t close to t0. Furthermore, this solution exists for all t, if x'' = f(t, x, x') is a linear function.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't see any x or x' in a, b, or c that aren't to the first power (I believe that would make them all linear?). The way I'm interpreting the above bit from the book, it would seem that the existence is guaranteed for all t values. I don't think this is right because when equation c is reordered to get x'' on the left and everything else to the right, there is a (t + 3) term in the denominator. Would this mean it's guaranteed for any value of t other than -3 to avoid a 0 denominator value?

I'm unsure if multiplying x and x' together like in equation a would make it nonlinear..

Also, what do you guys think "or a neighborhood of t = 1" means? The word neighborhood throws me off..

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I am moving this to the "homework" section.

Second, (a) is non-linear because of the "txx'" term- the "x times x'" is considered a non-linear function of x. The others are linear.

A "neighborhood" of a point is any open set that contains the point. If you are not familiar with the term "open set", you can instead think "open interval"- an interval that does not contain its endpoints.

when doing these, am I just concerned with x and x' at the specified points? Would I just plug 5 in where there's an x and 2 when there's an x'? I have no clue how to solve these.. There's no answer key and this is one of the few topics he didn't include an example problem in the book for. Am I trying to find a value of x''?

1. What is an initial value problem (IVP)?

An initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation along with some initial conditions. The initial conditions specify the value of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. The solution to an IVP is a function that satisfies both the differential equation and the initial conditions.

2. What is the existence and uniqueness theorem for IVPs?

The existence and uniqueness theorem states that if a differential equation and its initial conditions meet certain criteria, then there exists a unique solution to the IVP. This means that there is only one function that satisfies the differential equation and the given initial conditions.

3. What are the conditions for the existence and uniqueness theorem to hold?

The conditions for the existence and uniqueness theorem to hold are that the differential equation must be continuous in a region around the initial point, and the partial derivative of the equation with respect to the dependent variable must also be continuous in that region.

4. Can an IVP have more than one solution?

No, according to the existence and uniqueness theorem, an IVP can only have one solution if the conditions are met. If the conditions are not met, the theorem does not apply and there may be multiple solutions.

5. How is the existence and uniqueness of a solution to an IVP proven?

The existence and uniqueness of a solution to an IVP can be proven using mathematical techniques such as Picard's method or the contraction mapping theorem. These methods involve showing that the differential equation and its initial conditions satisfy the criteria for the existence and uniqueness theorem to hold in order to prove that there is a unique solution to the problem.