Jackson - p. 35 - integral of certain expression

In summary, the expression {\textstyle{{3{a^2}} \over {{{({a^2} + {r^2})}^{5/2}}}}} has a volume integral equal to 4\pi for arbitrary "a". This is because the r=0 expression is zero for any non-zero value of a, making the whole expression zero for any non-zero value of a. It is possible that the question is asking for the limit of the expression as r approaches 0, for arbitrary a.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

The expression [itex]{\textstyle{{3{a^2}} \over {{{({a^2} + {r^2})}^{5/2}}}}}[/itex] has a volume integral equal to [tex]4\pi [/tex] for arbitrary "a".

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int_0^R {\int_0^{\pi /2} {\int_0^\pi {{\textstyle{{3{a^2}} \over {{{({a^2} + {r^2})}^{5/2}}}}} \cdot dr \cdot r \cdot d\theta \cdot r\sin \theta \cdot d\phi } } } = 12\pi {a^2}\int_0^R {{\textstyle{{{r^2}} \over {{{({a^2} + {r^2})}^{5/2}}}}} \cdot dr} [/tex]

Maple claims this integral, before evaluating at endpoints, is,

[tex]\left( {\frac{{{r^3}}}{{3{a^2}{{({r^2} + {a^2})}^{3/2}}}}} \right)_{r = 0}^{r = R} = \left( {\frac{{{R^3}}}{{3{a^2}{{({R^2} + {a^2})}^{3/2}}}} - \frac{{{r^3}}}{{3{a^2}{{({r^2} + {a^2})}^{3/2}}}}} \right)[/tex]

I can't evaluate the second term, because the possibility of a --> 0 comes up later in the problem, and as a --> 0 and r --> 0, the second term clearly diverges, as would a Dirac delta function. How am I to argue that the integral does boil down to 4*pi? It just seems a farfetched claim...

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bjnartowt! :smile:

(have a pi: π*:wink:)
bjnartowt said:
I can't evaluate the second term, because the possibility of a --> 0 comes up later in the problem, and as a --> 0 and r --> 0, the second term clearly diverges, as would a Dirac delta function. How am I to argue that the integral does boil down to 4*pi? It just seems a farfetched claim...

i don't see the difficulty …

that r=0 expression is zero for any non-zero value of a

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a specific range.

2. How is an integral calculated?

An integral is calculated using a process called integration. This involves finding the antiderivative (the reverse of differentiation) of the function and then evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the range.

3. What is the purpose of finding the integral of a certain expression?

The integral of a certain expression can help us to solve various problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It can also help us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions based on its values.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific upper and lower limits, while an indefinite integral does not. Definite integrals give a numerical value, while indefinite integrals give an equation with a constant term.

5. Are there any practical applications of integrals?

Yes, integrals have various practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, they can be used to calculate the work done by a force, find the center of mass of an object, or determine the probability of an event occurring.