Hello all,
I have a new question related to Cesium in the waste stream of a refuse incinerator located in Machida, western Tokyo.
The site began sampling for Cesium 134 and Cesium 137, in the Incineration residue, after the accident in 2011.
From the time they initiated sampling, until June of 2016, the Cs-134 activity was always equal to, or less than the Cs-137 activity. Starting in June of 2016 and on multiple occasions since then, the Cs-134 activity has been higher than the Cs-137 activity. With consideration to the much shorter half life of Cs-134, I would have expected the Cs-134 activity to fall more quickly than the Cs-137 activity, but the reverse seems to be true here.
Can any of you please kindly help me to understand why the Cs-137 activity would be falling faster than that of the Cs-134?
Also, if this could be a case of confusion between Cs-134 and Bi-214 in the measurement process, how might we be getting Radium into the Incinerator?
https://www.city.machida.tokyo.jp/kurashi/kankyo/gomi/shiryo/keikakutou/shisetu.files/zansa_housyanou.pdf
If you would like an English translation, please PM me and I'll be happy to email the translation to you.
Thank you for reading and helping me understand.
Scott