JasonWhat is the Taylor series for ln(x+2) about x = 0?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 13K views
zzmanzz
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Using power series, expand ln(x + 2) about a = 0 (Taylor series)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



Is this appropriate?

[tex]ln(x+2) = ln((x+1)+1)[/tex]

[tex]x' = x+1[/tex]

[tex]ln(x'+1) = \sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(-1)^n}{n+1}(x')^{n+1}[/tex]

or

[tex]ln(x+2) = ln(\frac{x}{2}+1)[/tex]

[tex]x' = \frac{1}{2}x[/tex]

[tex]ln(x'+1) = \sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(-1)^n}{n+1}(x')^{n+1}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you rather have
[tex]\ln(2+x)=\ln[2(1+x/2)].[/tex]
You can, however still use your trick with this correction made!
 
So would your formula then be:

[tex]ln2 + ln(1+(x/2)) = ln2 + \sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(-1)^n}{n+1}(x/2)^{n+1}[/tex]

or

[tex]ln(2(x/2+1)) = 2*\sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(-1)^n}{n+1}(x/2)^{n+1}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
This you should be able to answer yourself by giving the reasoning behind each of the two claims you made. Of course only one of them can be right!
 
I believe that the first one is right because

[tex]ln(AB) = lnA + lnB[/tex]

[tex]A = 2, B = (1+x/2)[/tex]
 
I think you want to do the expansion around x = -1, so that a = 0.

So, the first few terms are: [tex]ln(x+2) = 0 + (x-1)f'(-1)+...=(x-1)+...[/tex]
 
It was asked to do the expansion around [itex]0[/itex], and of course the first equation is correct, i.e.,
[tex]\ln(x+2)=\ln 2 + \ln(1+(x/2)) = \ln 2 + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{n+1}(x/2)^{n+1}.[/tex]
Finally you should think about the domain, where the series is convergent!
 
zzmanzz said:

Homework Statement



Using power series, expand ln(x + 2) about a = 0 (Taylor series)

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



Is this appropriate?

[tex]ln(x+2) = ln((x+1)+1)[/tex]

[tex]x' = x+1[/tex]

[tex]ln(x'+1) = \sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(-1)^n}{n+1}(x')^{n+1}[/tex]

or

[tex]ln(x+2) = ln(\frac{x}{2}+1)[/tex]

[tex]x' = \frac{1}{2}x[/tex]

[tex]ln(x'+1) = \sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(-1)^n}{n+1}(x')^{n+1}[/tex]

Why not just use the Maclaurin series formula
[tex]f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)\,x + f''(0)\, \frac{x^2}{2!} + \cdots \:\:?[/tex]
It is really very simple to use in this case.
 
Yes, that's what I had in mind. For the x terms in your expansion. Can I do:
[tex]f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)(\frac{x}{2}) + f''(0)\frac{1}{2!}(\frac{x}{2})^2 + ...[/tex]
 
zzmanzz said:
Yes, that's what I had in mind. For the x terms in your expansion. Can I do:
[tex]f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)(\frac{x}{2}) + f''(0)\frac{1}{2!}(\frac{x}{2})^2 + ...[/tex]

Your could write that, but you would be WRONG. The Correct form of the expansion is exactly as I wrote it. Your series above is for f(x/2), not for f(x).
 
Last edited:
ok I think I get it now.

I use your mclaurin series to expand the formula..

Then based on the series outcome, we build the sum. So the following sum is still correct:

[tex]ln2 + \sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(-1)^n}{n+1}(x/2)^{n+1}[/tex]
 
vanhees71 said:
It was asked to do the expansion around [itex]0[/itex]

Is that what it means when it says "expand ln(x + 2) about a = 0?" I'm not familiar with this type of terminology. What the heck is "a"?

Chet
 
Chestermiller said:
Is that what it means when it says "expand ln(x + 2) about a = 0?" I'm not familiar with this type of terminology. What the heck is "a"?

Chet

My guess would be that it was a typo, and should have said "...about x = 0".