Jensen's inequality and a question concerning e.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, for the first question, the goal is to find the least value of a that satisfies the inequality (1+1/x)^(x+a) > e for all positive x. The given hint suggests using the fact that the function (1+1/x)^x+1 decreases monotonically and (1+1/x)^x increases monotonically to the limit e at infinity. However, the derivative of the right-hand side function with respect to a is always greater than zero, making it difficult to find the exact value of a.For the second question, the goal is to prove the inequality [ta^p+(1-t)b^p]^1/p <= [ta^q+(1-t)b^q]^
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
1) find the least value a such that (1+1/x)^(x+a)>e
for all positive x.
2) let a,b be two positive numbers, p and q any nonzero numbers p<q.
prove that [ta^p+(1-t)b^p]^1/p<=[ta^q+(1-t)b^q]^1/q.(0<t<1)

for the first question I am given the hint that [1+1/x]^x+1 decreases monotonically and [1+1/x]^x increases monotonically to the limit e at infinity, so basically we have here a function of a that as a increases the function decreases monotonically, so i need to take the derivative of the rhs and find for a between 0 and 1, which is the least value of a.
the problem is that derivative that i got wrt a is:
(1+1/x)^(x+a)*ln(1+1/x) and i need to equate this to 0 because x>0 ln(1+1/x)>0 and thus this derivative is greater than zero for all a.
so I am stuck here.

for the second question i thought to take the derivative of the function [ta^n+(1-t)b^n]^s when s is the variable and aftwerwards when the variable is n, i got that those two functions increase monotonically, i tried to put into n and s p and q, and i got 4 inequalities, i thought from these four i could conclude the required inequality but didnt succeed.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can tell if the function approaches e from above or below by seeing if the derivative approaches 0 from above or below. If it approaches zero from above, the function must be less than e for sufficiently large x, so you can exclude the corresponding values of a. If it's from below, you still need to verify that the function never crosses e and then comes back up.

what about jensen's inequality?

Use the convexity of x^(q/p).

What is Jensen's inequality?

Jensen's inequality is a mathematical theorem that states that for a convex function, the value of the function at the average of two points is always less than or equal to the average of the function values at those two points. In other words, the function lies below the straight line connecting the two points.

What is a convex function?

A convex function is a function whose graph curves upwards, meaning that the second derivative of the function is always positive. Examples of convex functions include quadratic functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions.

What is a concave function?

A concave function is the opposite of a convex function - its graph curves downwards, meaning that the second derivative of the function is always negative. Examples of concave functions include cubic functions, trigonometric functions, and rational functions.

What is the significance of Jensen's inequality in mathematics?

Jensen's inequality is a fundamental theorem in mathematical analysis and plays a crucial role in many fields, including economics, statistics, and optimization. It allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of convex functions and is often used in proving other theorems in mathematics.

What is the question concerning e related to Jensen's inequality?

The question concerning e in relation to Jensen's inequality is how to prove that the exponential function is convex using Jensen's inequality. This can be done by showing that the second derivative of the exponential function is always positive, which satisfies the definition of a convex function.