'Jet' engine with positive displacement compressor?

In summary: I don't understand why. Piston engines, for example, have positive displacement output in that sense.Hey Fred,I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit more about the engine that you were thinking of. Specifically, what type of compressor was it using and how did the compression work?
NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Aside from early diesel engines, does anyone know of brayton-cycle engine that uses a positive displacement compressor rather than an aerodynamic one?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You know, I vauguely remember a paper detailing an engine concept that did have a piston on top of an axial compressor. IIRC believe the compression was supplemental. Let me see if I can hunt it down.

FredGarvin said:
You know, I vauguely remember a paper detailing an engine concept that did have a piston on top of an axial compressor. IIRC believe the compression was supplemental. Let me see if I can hunt it down.

I was actually wondering about something similar to turbo-fans, but with positive displacement. Still, that sounds zany.

NateTG said:
I was actually wondering about something similar to turbo-fans, but with positive displacement. Still, that sounds zany.
It was on a turbo jet IIRC. I still haven't found it. Still looking.

EDIT: Now I recall what the heck I was thinking about. It had to do with free piston topping for turbines. I have a paper from the 2003 ASME Turbine expo on the topic, but it is copyrighted. Try doing a search on it and see what you can come up with. It's not what you were looking for, but it's kind of in the ball park.

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
Try doing a search on it and see what you can come up with. It's not what you were looking for, but it's kind of in the ball park.

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone had, for example stuck together a screw compressor, combustion chamber, and screw expander as a power plant.

Thanks for the response though.

Jeez, Nate... I thought that you were just asking about the intake side. A positive displacement output? I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it. I've seen a Funny Car shell its blower. Even with pop-off valves, it's not a pretty sight. I'd want an unobstructed exit for that combustion chamber.
I've seen quite a few 'turbojets' made out of surplus turbochargers, but that's about it.

Danger said:
Jeez, Nate... I thought that you were just asking about the intake side. A positive displacement output? I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it.

I don't understand why. Piston engines, for example, have positive displacement output in that sense.

Hi Nate, I've always been amazed at what's been patented. I was saying to myself, "I've never heard of such a machine, though I can't think of any reason why not." So I checked. Sure enough, this one looks pretty close to what you suggested (screw compressor, screw expander).
http://www1.uspto.gov/web/patents/patog/week06/OG/html/1303-1/US06993897-20060207.html
I suspect there are quite a few of these designs out there. A quick Google search turns up a lot of hits.

Hey Fred - New avatar? Which one is Fred? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing would be a hell of a lot easier to understand if I could get it all on the screen at the same time. Also, I'm not used to reading flow diagrams instead of blueprints. Looks sensible enough, if perhaps overly elaborate.
I guess that my objection might be more intuitive than based upon actual engineering principles. It's hard for me to envision a Roots-type blower, which is what I was thinking of, being easily reversible (like a worm gear set-up). Based upon the airflow through one, it seems that it would develop a lot of pressure internally as opposed to something that takes the flow axially. I suspect that the side-load on the rotor bearings must be incredible.
Thanks for the link, Q. Maybe if I print it out and get to look at the picture and text at the same time, it'll be easier to tell what's going on in it.

Last edited:
Q_Goest said:
Hey Fred - New avatar? Which one is Fred? :smile:
Yeah. It's a new one. I need to change things around every once in a while. That's Lou and Andy from Little Britain. The best skit show EVER.

FredGarvin said:
Yeah. It's a new one. I need to change things around every once in a while. That's Lou and Andy from Little Britain. The best skit show EVER.

My brother and his wife are into that show...

Man I love the cake!

1. What is a 'Jet' engine with positive displacement compressor?

A 'Jet' engine with positive displacement compressor is a type of jet engine that uses a positive displacement compressor to compress air before it enters the combustion chamber. This type of engine is typically used in small aircraft engines.

2. How does a 'Jet' engine with positive displacement compressor work?

The engine works by drawing in air through an inlet, which is then compressed by the positive displacement compressor. The compressed air is then mixed with fuel and ignited in the combustion chamber. This creates a high-pressure, high-velocity exhaust that creates thrust to propel the aircraft forward.

3. What are the advantages of a 'Jet' engine with positive displacement compressor?

One advantage is that it is more fuel-efficient than other types of jet engines. It also has a simpler design, which means it is easier to maintain and has a longer lifespan. Additionally, this type of engine can operate efficiently at low speeds, making it suitable for small aircraft.

4. What are the disadvantages of a 'Jet' engine with positive displacement compressor?

One disadvantage is that it is not suitable for high-speed aircraft as it cannot produce as much thrust as other types of jet engines. It also has a lower power-to-weight ratio, meaning it may not be suitable for larger or heavier aircraft. Additionally, the positive displacement compressor can be prone to damage if foreign objects are sucked into the engine.

5. How is a 'Jet' engine with positive displacement compressor different from other jet engines?

This type of engine differs from other jet engines in the way it compresses air. While other jet engines use a centrifugal compressor or axial compressor, a positive displacement compressor uses a piston or rotary mechanism to compress air. This results in a simpler and more efficient design, but with limitations on speed and power.