Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Jet' engine with positive displacement compressor?

1. Jun 2, 2006 #1

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aside from early diesel engines, does anyone know of brayton-cycle engine that uses a positive displacement compressor rather than an aerodynamic one?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You know, I vauguely remember a paper detailing an engine concept that did have a piston on top of an axial compressor. IIRC believe the compression was supplemental. Let me see if I can hunt it down.

4. Jun 5, 2006 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was actually wondering about something similar to turbo-fans, but with positive displacement. Still, that sounds zany.

5. Jun 5, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It was on a turbo jet IIRC. I still haven't found it. Still looking.

EDIT: Now I recall what the heck I was thinking about. It had to do with free piston topping for turbines. I have a paper from the 2003 ASME Turbine expo on the topic, but it is copyrighted. Try doing a search on it and see what you can come up with. It's not what you were looking for, but it's kind of in the ball park.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  6. Jun 5, 2006 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone had, for example stuck together a screw compressor, combustion chamber, and screw expander as a power plant.

Thanks for the response though.

7. Jun 5, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Jeez, Nate... I thought that you were just asking about the intake side. A positive displacement output? I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it. I've seen a Funny Car shell its blower. Even with pop-off valves, it's not a pretty sight. I'd want an unobstructed exit for that combustion chamber.
    I've seen quite a few 'turbojets' made out of surplus turbochargers, but that's about it.

8. Jun 5, 2006 #7

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand why. Piston engines, for example, have positive displacement output in that sense.

9. Jun 5, 2006 #8

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Nate, I've always been amazed at what's been patented. I was saying to myself, "I've never heard of such a machine, though I can't think of any reason why not." So I checked. Sure enough, this one looks pretty close to what you suggested (screw compressor, screw expander).
    http://www1.uspto.gov/web/patents/patog/week06/OG/html/1303-1/US06993897-20060207.html
    I suspect there are quite a few of these designs out there. A quick Google search turns up a lot of hits.

Hey Fred - New avatar? Which one is Fred? :smile:

10. Jun 5, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

That thing would be a hell of a lot easier to understand if I could get it all on the screen at the same time. Also, I'm not used to reading flow diagrams instead of blueprints. Looks sensible enough, if perhaps overly elaborate.
    I guess that my objection might be more intuitive than based upon actual engineering principles. It's hard for me to envision a Roots-type blower, which is what I was thinking of, being easily reversible (like a worm gear set-up). Based upon the airflow through one, it seems that it would develop a lot of pressure internally as opposed to something that takes the flow axially. I suspect that the side-load on the rotor bearings must be incredible.
    Thanks for the link, Q. Maybe if I print it out and get to look at the picture and text at the same time, it'll be easier to tell what's going on in it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  11. Jun 6, 2006 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Yeah. It's a new one. I need to change things around every once in a while. That's Lou and Andy from Little Britain. The best skit show EVER.

12. Jun 6, 2006 #11

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My brother and his wife are into that show...

Man I love the cake!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?