Job opportunities after doing phd physics

In summary, the person is a foreign national from Turkey and is planning to pursue an M.S and later a Ph.D in physics from a university in the U.S. They want to know if there are any scholarship or stipend programs available for M.S and Ph.D students, and approximately how much stipend a Ph.D student can expect to receive. They also ask about the time it takes to complete both degrees, with an undergraduate degree in engineering-computer science. They also inquire about the job opportunities and potential earnings after completing a Ph.D in physics.
space geek
hello,
i m a foreign national from turkey.
i am planning to opt for M.S and later phd in physics from a U.S.A university.
i wanted to know :-
1) do you have to pay to do M.S/phd or is there any scholarship/stipend
programme available.(and if any stipend is paid to phd students approximately how much it is)
2) how much time does it take approximately to do both M.S+phd(i have
an undergraduate degree in engineering -computer science)
3) what kind of jobs are available after doing phd-physics-and aproximately how much can one expect to earn after that.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
space geek said:
hello,
i m a foreign national from turkey.
i am planning to opt for M.S and later phd in physics from a U.S.A university.
i wanted to know :-
1) do you have to pay to do M.S/phd or is there any scholarship/stipend
programme available.(and if any stipend is paid to phd students approximately how much it is)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=897051&postcount=104

2) how much time does it take approximately to do both M.S+phd(i have
an undergraduate degree in engineering -computer science)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=897052&postcount=105

3) what kind of jobs are available after doing phd-physics-and aproximately how much can one expect to earn after that.

http://www.physicspost.com/science-article-210.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, thank you for your inquiry. Pursuing a PhD in physics can open up a variety of job opportunities in both academia and industry. In terms of funding, most universities offer scholarships and stipends for graduate students, and some also have funding opportunities specifically for international students. The amount of the stipend varies depending on the university and program, but it is usually enough to cover living expenses. As for the duration of the program, it typically takes 4-6 years to complete a PhD in physics after completing a Master's degree. However, this can vary depending on the individual's research progress and program requirements.

After completing a PhD in physics, there are a wide range of career options available. Many graduates choose to pursue careers in research and academia, working as professors, postdoctoral researchers, or research scientists. Others may choose to work in industry, in fields such as engineering, technology, or finance, where their technical and analytical skills are highly valued. Salaries for these positions can vary greatly, but typically start at around $70,000 and can increase significantly with experience and expertise. Ultimately, a PhD in physics can lead to a fulfilling and rewarding career in a variety of fields. I wish you all the best in your academic pursuits.

1. What job opportunities are available after completing a PhD in Physics?

There are several job opportunities available for individuals with a PhD in Physics, including research positions in academia, government agencies, and private companies. Other options include teaching at the university level, working in science communication and outreach, and pursuing careers in fields such as engineering, finance, and data science.

2. Is a PhD in Physics necessary for a career in research?

While a PhD in Physics is not always required for research positions, it is highly recommended for those who want to pursue a successful career in this field. A PhD provides advanced knowledge and specialized skills that are necessary for conducting original research and making significant contributions to the field of physics.

3. Can I get a job outside of academia with a PhD in Physics?

Yes, a PhD in Physics opens up many opportunities outside of academia. Industries such as technology, aerospace, and renewable energy often seek individuals with advanced degrees in physics for research and development positions. Additionally, many companies value the analytical and problem-solving skills that are developed during a PhD program.

4. How long does it typically take to find a job after completing a PhD in Physics?

The length of time it takes to find a job after completing a PhD in Physics varies depending on the individual and the job market. Some individuals may find employment immediately after graduation, while others may take several months to secure a job. Networking, gaining experience through internships, and having a strong research background can all help in finding a job more quickly.

5. Can I switch to a different field after completing a PhD in Physics?

While it is possible to switch to a different field after completing a PhD in Physics, it may require additional education or training. However, the skills and knowledge acquired during a PhD program, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, are transferable to many other fields and can make the transition smoother.