Job Prospects for Astrophysics Career

In summary, the conversation is about a freshman who is planning to pursue a graduate degree in Physics, specializing in Astrophysics. They are not concerned about the salary and are seeking honest opinions about the job market in this field. The conversation delves into the percentage of people who get research positions after obtaining a PhD, the average duration of post-doc positions before landing an academic faculty position, and the availability of research positions outside of academia. The speaker mentions that the competition in this field is high and graduate students are often not informed about the various job opportunities available.
jeremmed77
I am currently a freshmen who is planning on getting a graduate degree in Physics, but specializing in Astrophysics. Since I am not going into this field for the money, I do not care if you are brutally honest with me ha ha.

I was wondering if someone within this field has a percentage of how many people actually get a research position after they obtain the phd? For instance, I am looking for a percentage of how many people go into industry, post doc, and/or finance after they graduate(Just your personal opinion is all I am asking for)

How many years would you say the average Astrophysicist stays as a post doc before landing an academic faculty position? Are there research positions outside of academics or not? I know that this field is extremely competitive so I would like to know what I am getting myself into. Any input would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jeremmed77 said:
I was wondering if someone within this field has a percentage of how many people actually get a research position after they obtain the phd? For instance, I am looking for a percentage of how many people go into industry, post doc, and/or finance after they graduate(Just your personal opinion is all I am asking for)

Immediately after graduation about half the people end up going into post-docs and half do something else. If you look at the situation after five years, about 20% are in tenure track faculty positions, 50% are doing something science-related that isn't tenure track, and 30% are doing something outside of astronomy.

One of the interesting findings by a professor that keeps track of these things, is that even among people that end up doing astrophysics-related work, people that are tenure track are a minority. There are rather large numbers of people that get work (researcher at national lab) that aren't tenured academic positions.

How many years would you say the average Astrophysicist stays as a post doc before landing an academic faculty position?

Standard is two three year post-docs. You might get a third post-doc. After that, you are not getting tenure track unless you do something unconventional.

Are there research positions outside of academics or not?

Most astrophysics research positions are in fact non-tenure track positions. There are a lot of people that work for national labs. Also people end up doing support services. Someone ends up managing the department's computers but as part of his contract, he does some research on the side.

I know that this field is extremely competitive so I would like to know what I am getting myself into. Any input would be great thanks.

The big problem is that people in graduate school aren't giving information about what jobs are available. In graduate school, you'll be next to professors so there is this incorrect idea that the *only* job available is that of a professor, and that's not true.

Thanks for all of the information.

1. What job opportunities are available for those with a degree in astrophysics?

There are a variety of job opportunities available for those with a degree in astrophysics. Some common career paths include research positions at universities or government agencies, data analysis and management roles at observatories or space agencies, and teaching positions at educational institutions. Additionally, many astrophysicists also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, and technology.

2. Is there a high demand for astrophysicists in the job market?

The demand for astrophysicists varies depending on the specific field and location. However, overall there is a high demand for individuals with a background in astrophysics due to the increasing interest and advancements in space exploration and research. This demand is expected to continue to grow in the coming years.

3. What skills are important for a career in astrophysics?

Some essential skills for a career in astrophysics include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in mathematics and computer programming, and the ability to think critically and creatively. Additionally, effective communication and teamwork abilities are crucial for collaborating with colleagues and presenting research findings.

4. How much can I expect to earn as an astrophysicist?

The salary of an astrophysicist can vary greatly depending on factors such as education level, experience, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers, including astrophysicists, was $122,220 in May 2020. However, salaries can range from around $60,000 for entry-level positions to over $200,000 for experienced professionals.

5. What type of education is required for a career in astrophysics?

Most careers in astrophysics require at least a bachelor's degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field. Many positions, particularly in research, may also require a graduate degree, such as a master's or doctorate. Additionally, some employers may prefer candidates with specific coursework or experience in areas such as data analysis, computer programming, and advanced mathematics.