Job Selection Criteria: Money versus Happiness

In summary, if you like the job and it's not causing you too much stress, then it's probably a good idea to take it. But if you're not really sure about it, or you feel like you're not doing much, then it might be better to wait.
David Lewis said:
I agree. This is a challenge. If it's the type of activity that most people enjoy doing then it's not so easy to demand big money.
Not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that jobs that are enjoyable for most people necessarily don't pay well? That employers are willing to pay well only for jobs that most people don't enjoy?

One of the points I was making in Post #29 was that happiness via a job not only requires that you be exceptionally good at what you do, but that you also enjoy what you do. You can be exceptionally good at what you do, and get well compensated for it, even though you don't particularly enjoy it [I was in this scenario as a patent agent in a law firm]. But you can be exceptionally good at what you do, get well compensated for it, and enjoy it [I was in this scenario as a physicist in a R&D lab]. And I believe this is true, e.g., of musicians once they have established a large enough fan base to perform the music that they want to perform [rather than the type of music that the studio they signed a contract with dictates that they perform]: they are exceptionally good musicians, they truly enjoy their music, they have a large customer (fan) base, and they are well compensated (their fans are willing to pay for records and concerts and fan merchandise).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CrysPhys said:
On the flip side, I personally see no value in super expensive cars. But super expensive cars sell because a sufficient number of customers with sufficient money do see value in them. And you aspire to be one of those customers, correct?
Car companies are useful as they promote competition to build better and cheaper cars and also support research projects.Mostly AI in vehicles are being implemented by private companies.
Car companies don't steal your money and throw away it on drugs or something unlike entertainers.
The money car companies get is beneficial for the society as a whole over long periods of time.
Now what a entertainer would do with a lot of money is as follows,
1. Go crazy and ruin the society.
2. use words like "feminism" and "black people" the way they are not supposed to be and twist their meaning to the point where only idiots are benefiting at the loss of competent people
3. Buy drugs and promote them indirectly.
4. Buy the judiciary literally and arrest other people under false allegations.
i could go on and on

Too much power or money concentrated in the hands of one person is never good. That too in the hands of such a useless person.
Company CEOs are generally stable minded and serve as an inspiration for other people to do good stuff.

I like this passage from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_value#Marginalism

"Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk illustrated this with the example of a farmer having five sacks of grain.[7]

"With the first, he will make bread to survive. With the second, he will make more bread, in order to be strong enough to work. With the next, he will feed his farm animals. The next is used to make whisky, and the last one he feeds to the pigeons. If one of those bags is stolen, he will not reduce each of those activities by one-fifth; instead he will stop feeding the pigeons.

"So the value of the fifth bag of grain is equal to the satisfaction he gets from feeding the pigeons. If he sells that bag and neglects the pigeons, his least productive use of the remaining grain is to make whisky, so the value of a fourth bag of grain is the value of his whisky. Only if he loses four bags of grain will he start eating less; that is the most productive use of his grain. The last bag of grain is worth his life.

If we are talking about the difference between feeding lots of pigeons and feeding fewer pigeons, I'd say take the job you love. The extra money isn't worth that much. [But if we're talking about the difference between life and death, take the job that keeps you alive]

Likes russ_watters and Suyash Singh
Suyash Singh said:
Company CEOs are generally stable minded and serve as an inspiration for other people to do good stuff.
Oh, you mean exemplars like Jeff Skilling, Dennis Kozlowski, and Rich McGinn?

CrysPhys said:
Oh, you mean exemplars like Jeff Skilling, Dennis Kozlowski, and Rich McGinn?
thats why i said "generally"
i don't even know those people you mentioned cause i don't focus on bad examples
See examples like "Sundar Pichai", "Satya Nadela".

Sorry if it sounds racist but try to avoid american examples.Bad things are expected from them if they get too much power.

Suyash Singh said:
Sorry if it sounds racist

Why yes, yes it does.

It also sounds ungrateful to all the Americans who are trying to help you.

Likes russ_watters and Suyash Singh
Suyash Singh said:
thats why i said "generally"
i don't even know those people you mentioned cause i don't focus on bad examples
See examples like "Sundar Pichai", "Satya Nadela".

Sorry if it sounds racist but try to avoid american examples.Bad things are expected from them if they get too much power.
So,

(a) You generalize the behavior of CEOs by lauding the good behavior exhibited by some CEOs and dismissing the bad behavior exhibited by other CEOs; and
(b) You generalize the behavior of entertainers by excoriating the bad behavior exhibited by some entertainers and dismissing the good behavior exhibited by other entertainers.

In the words of Mr. Spock, "This is not logical."

CrysPhys said:
So,

(a) You generalize the behavior of CEOs by lauding the good behavior exhibited by some CEOs and dismissing the bad behavior exhibited by other CEOs; and
(b) You generalize the behavior of entertainers by excoriating the bad behavior exhibited by some entertainers and dismissing the good behavior exhibited by other entertainers.

In the words of Mr. Spock, "This is not logical."
Behaviour of really powerful or rich people mainly depends on the condition where they come from and live in.
Entertainers have a very high probability of damaging society as they "mostly" come from much better situations, basically get overnight success, and their fan base includes children who treat them like gods and get brainwashed easily.
While CEOs who are stable minded generally come from not so good conditions and have worked their way up.

CEOs can be punished for their bad behaviour by the law.
while
Its nearly impossible to punish an entertainer for his/her bad behaviour if it is a popular decision.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why yes, yes it does.

It also sounds ungrateful to all the Americans who are trying to help you.
There are region specific "tendencies"
Like Indians tend to disrespect women if they are not educated because the uneducated Indians tend to be around dumb women or gold diggers(only applies for rural areas)
Thus Americans tend to be crazy when they get too much power or money for some reason which i don't know about.

This thread has run its course and is now headed in a direction it shouldn't go, so it is locked. Thanks for the great responses to the original question guys.

Likes Suyash Singh