Job Selection Criteria: Money versus Happiness

In summary, if you like the job and it's not causing you too much stress, then it's probably a good idea to take it. But if you're not really sure about it, or you feel like you're not doing much, then it might be better to wait.
Suyash Singh
I am only 17 years old and i need to ask you this

should i take a job which gives lot of money but i will start to hate the job eventually
or
a job that i love ?

The job that i love will not make me poor or something but the thing is that i will never be able to buy expensive cars and planes.

What happens to people who don't have big houses and expensive cars?Are they happy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Easy, a job that you love unless you love expensive cars or plane more. Really, by this time you should have been told that worldly possessions do not buy happiness.

Likes davenn and russ_watters
Well, my wife and I both chose jobs in academia, making far less than we could in industry (and adjusted for inflation today I only make a little bit more than I did in industry 15 years ago, even though now I'm a manager and 15 years ago I was a fresh EE PhD). We live in a small apartment with our kids and to be honest, we couldn't be happier. We both have exciting jobs that we both feel are worth doing and that goes a long, long way in the personal satisfaction department. So we can only afford a cheap Honda hatchback to share, so what?

We don't have house repairs, or yardwork, or have to worry about any of that stuff. We spend our free time as a family, going on hikes, to the library, cooking, going to the park. Life is sweet.

If we were running the rat race trying to get a bigger bonus to buy that Tesla, or save a down payment on a bigger house, I really don't think we'd be as happy as we are.

Likes StatGuy2000, Suyash Singh and russ_watters
In my experience, it's best to treat happiness as a parameter independent of your income. Happiness derives from the outlook on life that you choose to adopt, the meaningful experiences that you have, the people around you, the friendships you forge, and the contributions that you make to the world.

The other thing I would say that you're 17 years old. It's unlikely that any decision you make at this point in your life is going to set you on a single unalterable career path for the rest of your life. Make the best decision you can given the available data, and then correct it if it turns out not to be what you had hoped.

Likes StatGuy2000, billy_joule and russ_watters
Suyash Singh said:
I am only 17 years old and i need to ask you this

should i take a job which gives lot of money but i will start to hate the job eventually
or
a job that i love ?

The job that i love will not make me poor or something but the thing is that i will never be able to buy expensive cars and planes.

What happens to people who don't have big houses and expensive cars?Are they happy?
* There are people who have big houses and expensive cars and are happy.
* There are people who have big houses and expensive cars and are not happy.
* There are people who do not have big houses and expensive cars and are happy.
* There are people who do not have big houses and expensive cars and are not happy.

Likes symbolipoint, StatGuy2000, analogdesign and 1 other person
Thankyou.

Choppy said:
In my experience, it's best to treat happiness as a parameter independent of your income. Happiness derives from the outlook on life that you choose to adopt, the meaningful experiences that you have, the people around you, the friendships you forge, and the contributions that you make to the world.

The other thing I would say that you're 17 years old. It's unlikely that any decision you make at this point in your life is going to set you on a single unalterable career path for the rest of your life. Make the best decision you can given the available data, and then correct it if it turns out not to be what you had hoped.
I live in India. Not really much of career choices.

Suyash Singh said:

Just so you know, most of us westerners (at least Americans) have had it drilled into us since childhood that we should always choose love over money, for careers (or anything). So when you ask this question here, you'll always get the same answer.

Just to be contrarian, I'll argue for the other side a little.

It's hard to tell whether you really hate or love a job when you haven't tried doing it yet. And it seems to depend a lot on small factors like your coworkers, your boss, your office, and how much you feel like you're accomplishing. There's a lot of variance for jobs, even in the same field, and you're likely to change between jobs a lot over your lifetime.

On the other hand, money is pretty objective. More money does seem to make people more happy, or at least remove obstacles that can make you unhappy, like being forced to live in a terrible place because you can't afford to rent anywhere decent. It can also give you power to do good in the world, by helping out your friend and family if they need money, or donating money to charity. For a little over $3000, you can (maybe) save a life: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-...ve-a-life-for-333706-and-thats-a-steal-2015-7.

Obviously if you're job is really making you miserable, you should quit no matter how good it pays. But hopefully you can find a middle ground, where you not only enjoy the job but it also pays well. If the job suits you, and you work hard, you can probably find something like that.

Likes russ_watters
pi-r8 said:
On the other hand, money is pretty objective. More money does seem to make people more happy, or at least remove obstacles that can make you unhappy, like being forced to live in a terrible place because you can't afford to rent anywhere decent. It can also give you power to do good in the world, by helping out your friend and family if they need money, or donating money to charity. For a little over $3000, you can (maybe) save a life: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-...ve-a-life-for-333706-and-thats-a-steal-2015-7.

Obviously if you're job is really making you miserable, you should quit no matter how good it pays. But hopefully you can find a middle ground, where you not only enjoy the job but it also pays well. If the job suits you, and you work hard, you can probably find something like that.
Along those lines ... At one time I led an international project team. Some of my European team members had a favorite saying reflecting on the difference in outlook between Americans and Europeans: "Americans live to work, whereas Europeans work to live." One European engineer gave a seminar on this topic for a corporate cultural diversity event. His perspective was that, for most Americans, their jobs are their passions; but, for most Europeans, jobs are merely vehicles to earn money to enable them to pursue their true passions. Don't know how accurate this generalization is; assume it also depends on whether you're a neurosurgeon or a garbage collector.

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint
Suyash Singh said:

Unless you come from an especially poor family (or a Dalit or a member of a discriminated minority within India), I don't believe that is true anymore, with India's economy growing and more career options opening for you.

Likes russ_watters
There is a sometimes or more often interview question that goes like:
"What would be your ideal job", or "what would you really like to do"?

The candidates who are trying to find "work to live" will typically be defeated this way; unless they LIE.

Likes Suyash Singh
StatGuy2000 said:
Unless you come from an especially poor family (or a Dalit or a member of a discriminated minority within India), I don't believe that is true anymore, with India's economy growing and more career options opening for you.
And, unless there are financial or personal constraints, there is the option to move to another country.

symbolipoint said:
There is a sometimes or more often interview question that goes like:
"What would be your ideal job", or "what would you really like to do"?

The candidates who are trying to find "work to live" will typically be defeated this way; unless they LIE.
So, if you're a pathological hoarder who's interviewing for a job at the sanitation department, you can honestly say, "Collecting garbage is my real passion."

Likes russ_watters and Suyash Singh
The idea of "passion" as a prerequisite for employment is pretty ridiculous. I saw a resume recently where the person had put she had a "passion for customer service". Ahem.

And to respond a bit to CrysPhys, I would say while money doesn't buy happiness, a lack of money can add a lot of stresses to life that make it more challenging to be happy. If you're worried about making your next mortgage payment, or you can't afford medical insurance or braces for your kid, or so on, life is going to be tough.

So, I think what people are saying is that maximizing earning isn't (at all) the same thing as maximizing happiness. Also, since many of the people here have creative minds, I would say it isn't *that* hard to find a job you will love and will reasonably compensate you, even if you don't maximize earnings.

Likes jasonRF and russ_watters
analogdesign said:
The idea of "passion" as a prerequisite for employment is pretty ridiculous. I saw a resume recently where the person had put she had a "passion for customer service". Ahem.

And to respond a bit to CrysPhys, I would say while money doesn't buy happiness, a lack of money can add a lot of stresses to life that make it more challenging to be happy. If you're worried about making your next mortgage payment, or you can't afford medical insurance or braces for your kid, or so on, life is going to be tough.

So, I think what people are saying is that maximizing earning isn't (at all) the same thing as maximizing happiness. Also, since many of the people here have creative minds, I would say it isn't *that* hard to find a job you will love and will reasonably compensate you, even if you don't maximize earnings.
And some people think they can live in a fantasy world. Work is work. It might be fun but being fun to do is not the point. Work is tasks that need being done.

"Creative" might be a sometimes-misplaced word for analytical or problem-solver. Not exactly what creative means, but employers will often want to find people to hire who can find solutions to the company's problems.

analogdesign said:

There's a standing joke: "Money can't buy you happiness, but it sure can make misery a lot more enjoyable." But note the list of goodies on the OP's wish list in Post #1: expensive cars and planes and big houses. A far cry from mortgage payments, medical insurance, and braces.

Likes symbolipoint
Umm guys
Its not like i am going to be poor choosing my passion over my other options.
I am going to be like rich rich in both careers but what i meant is that
If i choose my passion i would be buying average cars, houses within 5 years
but
if that more money job then really good cars, houses within 5 to 10 years
So you see money is not a problem at all
It is the question of money or more money

Although i have made my decision i am choosing my passion if i get it(probably would)

StatGuy2000 said:
Dont believe the indian media about dalits. They tell you carefully edited truth.

I would say happiness is more important, in fact my mom couldn't be happier and she makes less than 20k a year. She loves her job and although we have to rent and have some money issues, we are happy, happiness is derived from what you do for enjoyment, what you do that hurts enjoyment (higher paying but less liked job) and your mindset

Likes Suyash Singh
Suyash Singh said:
Umm guys
but

Look this statement up when you're over 30.

You'll understand then.

Likes russ_watters and George Jones
Suyash Singh said:
Umm guys
but
Well, depending on how many Ferraris, Lear Jets, and mansions you want, there is the option of a planned two-stage career. My daughter, e.g., wants to be an environmental activist. The work that she's interested in, however, is typically done by non-profit organizations, whose pay won't afford her the lifestyle she wants. She has interned at several such firms, and what she's found out is that many of the execs there started out in the for-profit sector, working at high-paying jobs that they didn't find personally fulfilling. They stayed for 10 - 15 yrs until they had amassed enough savings to sustain a comfortable lifestyle, then switched over to the non-profit sector to pursue personal fulfillment.

Likes russ_watters
Choppy said:

You'll understand then.
As someone who turned 30 about three weeks ago, I cannot agree more with this statement.

@Suyash Singh
I was born and raised in a small, poor country in Europe, and I would like to say I understand how you feel - when looking around, seeing no jobs, depression and economic stagnation. Naturally, once I became a citizen of a first-world country, I brought that attitude (or "hunger") with me. Actually, as it turns out, research shows that money does buy you happiness - but only up to a point. Although it took some life lessons, I have learned to identify "how much money is enough money" for me, and you will too. It will all come down to you naturally, once realize that (apart from money) your time here on this rock is also a limited and irreversible resource. And as such, your life choices need to be such that would minimise regret later in life.

Likes russ_watters and Suyash Singh
I do understand that there are many people who in the race to earn money end up getting depressed as is the case with many people in the entertainment field(actors ,singers ,etc).
All my present knowledge is from the small world that i have around me currently that's why i asked for your advice.

Choppy said:

You'll understand then.
Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. I remember at one party a guy in his 50's insisted that all the guys go out to see his new car. He had ditched a recent Mercedes for a new Ferrari because "you see too many BMWs and Mercedes everywhere these days". And I had a great laugh when I worked in a law firm. A couple of attorneys in their 40's were planning to blow part of their bonuses on Rolexes. Another attorney chimed in, "Rolex? That's cheap junk." He then suggested several other brands I never heard of. I looked them up ... starting prices were ~$50K. Oh, well, I'm happy with my Subaru Outback and Citizen Eco-Drive.

Likes Suyash Singh
If you haven't decided to become a hermit or a monk, then to live a decent life and have at least the necessities and pay the bills, you will need a job that pays you enough to cover those. You still can be happy, not because of work, but because of other stuff in life that you can do and experience, but to be able to do these, probably you will need money. Money in itself is not a goal that makes you happy, but a means that may help you achieve your subjective happiness and joy.

Maybe the question itself is goofy. The more important question is not "money versus happy" but "job versus no job".

If you do things you are exceptionally good at, you will probably be happier and make more money. There are other factors to consider, but that's a good starting point. Division of labor is a major benefit of developed economies.

Likes Suyash Singh
David Lewis said:
If you do things you are exceptionally good at, you will probably be happier and make more money. There are other factors to consider, but that's a good starting point.
It's a more complex confluence of factors.

(1) You do things you are exceptionally good at; i.e, you are both good at the things you do, and are better than most others (your competitors)

(2) You enjoy doing the things that you are exceptionally good at

(3) There is a strong customer demand for the things that you are exceptionally good at

(4) There is a strong willingness for customers to pay well for the things that you are exceptionally good at.

Conflict arises when all four factors are not simultaneously met. After I got my PhD, I was fortunate to get a job in a major corporate R&D lab, where (1) - (4) were simultaneously met. As a result of major industry upheavals, I ended up changing careers several times; I was adaptable enough to maintain (1), (3), and (4) for the most part (except for short-term glitches during transitions), but not always able to maintain (2).

I have a friend who's a special ed teacher. For her, (1) - (3) are met, but (4) is not ... she works part-time at a supermarket to supplement her income. Our economic system rewards people who can whack a ball with a stick exceptionally well or throw a ball through a hoop exceptionally well much better than people who can teach our kids exceptionally well.

And then, of course, there are things that I really enjoy, but truly suck at ... those I pursue as hobbies.

Last edited:
David Lewis said:
Division of labor is a major benefit of developed economies.
Could you please clarify what you mean by this?

David Lewis said:
If you do things you are exceptionally good at, you will probably be happier and make more money. There are other factors to consider, but that's a good starting point. Division of labor is a major benefit of developed economies.
CrysPhys said:
Could you please clarify what you mean by this?
The "Division of labor" comment makes good sense to me, if not to others.

Notice he said "developed economies", so the community is part of a well developed modern society. Farming has long ago been well organized. Great many machines have been used to make a great many more machines to make some parts of daily living easier. In the less developed economy, a bunch of people must tend to farming and several others must go hunting and a few others go to gathering stuff to eat. Nobody goes to the store for anything. In a more modern situation, someone with great talent may learn to play piano and make a great career out of it.

CrysPhys said:
(2) You enjoy doing the things that you are exceptionally good at
I agree. This is a challenge. If it's the type of activity that most people enjoy doing then it's not so easy to demand big money.

CrysPhys said:
It's a more complex confluence of factors.

Our economic system rewards people who can whack a ball with a stick exceptionally well or throw a ball through a hoop exceptionally well much better than people who can teach our kids exceptionally well.
Perhaps you can stop watching sports and not give them money?
I never watch sports pure waste of good time and money.

Suyash Singh said:
The point David Lewis was making was that sources of money tend to flow toward talented people, including and especially toward people with very popular talent. Sports and Music often are popular, even if not every member in society takes interest in them.

Suyash Singh said:
And that is your personal choice. Watching sports adds no value to your life, so you are not willing to pay for it. But obviously professional sports is big business because watching sports does add value to many people's lives. A sufficiently large number of customers are willing to pay sufficiently large sums of money to support the large payouts to star athletes. Fans are generally happier when their team wins; and happier fans generally are willing to go to more games and pay higher ticket prices.

On the flip side, I personally see no value in super expensive cars. But super expensive cars sell because a sufficient number of customers with sufficient money do see value in them. And you aspire to be one of those customers, correct?

Likes symbolipoint