1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jobs / Employability with Chemistry / Physics degree?

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1

trollcast

Gold Member

I'm just wondering about the above 2 degrees (or possibly physics and something like applied mathematics or computer science as a double honours) and what sort of outlook there is for jobs and variety of jobs out there.

I'm interested in the areas of science that are working to produce new technologies such as graphene and carbon based nano-tech or new polymer battery technologies etc. Which of those 2 degrees would be most suitable for these sorts of cutting edge technology research jobs and more importantly are those jobs attainable or a really low chance of success?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2

trollcast

Gold Member

Anyone?

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3
    Both chemistry and physics are very much involved in material science. I worked in a material science lab during gradschool and we had students and post-docs with physics and chemistry degrees/majors.

Jobs in physics and chemistry can be hard to get. Specifically, getting a professor/researcher job is very, very hard to get. But with a PhD in physics or chemistry you can certainly compete for technical jobs in industry. If you dont want to do graduate school and get a PhD then you should major in a type of engineering and try to do an internship with a potential employer.

5. Apr 11, 2013 #4
    You'd be much better off in an engineering program, either electrical, materials or chemical, depending on the school and what research they do.

6. Apr 11, 2013 #5

trollcast

Gold Member

Theres no materials science / engineering course at the university I wish to attend, theres a module or 2 on materials science and solid state physics in the physics course though.

I'm not really interested in the chemical engineering course as theres a load of mechanical engineering modules and business / management modules that I'm not really that interested in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook