Jobs involving Physics research and travel?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
OboePhysicsKat
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I'm going to be at university soon, so I'm not a student quite yet, but I don't think it's ever too early to start thinking about what I will do after university, so; I'm very interested in the way certain geologists work, as they go to strange and quite dangerous places in the world to complete their research, however I'm not interested in the type of information they gather as it's too closely related to geographical research, obviously. So, does anyone know of a job that involves this kind of travel to these kinds of places, but that involves research that is more closely connected to physics/theoretical physics? Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know there is no such thing as theoretical physics fieldwork.
 
OboePhysicsKat said:
I'm very interested in the way certain geologists work, as they go to strange and quite dangerous places in the world to complete their research, however I'm not interested in the type of information they gather as it's too closely related to geographical research, obviously.

Geology, geography; to-may-to, to-mah-to, huh?

There is quite a difference between geology and geography. You might want to read up on these two fields:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology

If you are looking for travel to exotic locales, you can't beat this geologist's resume:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Schmitt

I doubt NASA would have sent a geographer in his place.
 
Astrophysics might involve some travel to observatories...
 
OboePhysicsKat said:
I'm going to be at university soon, so I'm not a student quite yet, but I don't think it's ever too early to start thinking about what I will do after university, so; I'm very interested in the way certain geologists work, as they go to strange and quite dangerous places in the world to complete their research, however I'm not interested in the type of information they gather as it's too closely related to geographical research, obviously. So, does anyone know of a job that involves this kind of travel to these kinds of places, but that involves research that is more closely connected to physics/theoretical physics? Thank you!
If one does pure theory, one does not need to travel to exotic places, except for collecting data. Solving systems of equations does not involve travel, except to conferences perhaps.

Some geologists do field research, so they might travel to some location in order to perform experimental measurements or collect specimens in support of a theory.

Certainly, some geologists work for oil and mineral companies, so they would travel to locations where there are potentially mineral deposits. On the other hand, if they specialize in remote sensing, then they may simply travel to the location where a particular satellite is controlled and collect information/data at that location.

Geographical research may involve travel to locations of interest.
 
Metereological stuff. Should be quite afew topics in there that necessates exotic field work.