Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Jobs speech: YouTube of full 33 minutes

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It took me a while to find a video of the complete speech, so I thought I'd share this link in case others want to watch it. He gets a lot into 33 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Is this where we're going to discuss the speech? Because I feel that's inevitable.

4. Sep 9, 2011 #3
    Not I. I heard he tried the humble pie approach.

Whoops! pardon...

5. Sep 9, 2011 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There's plenty positive that one can say about the speech. It will become significant if there is a change of mood in the country leading to a popular call for government to take initiatives for common goals---to renew infrastructure and education, to revitalize the middle worker/consumer core of society.

By itself the America's Jobs Act is certainly not enough, just a step in the right direction--see Robert Reich's comment ("two cheers and a jeer") http://robertreich.org/post/9984121331

6. Sep 9, 2011 #5
    Personally, I think a short term (3 to 4 month) extension of unemployment benefits is better than a 12 month extension - even if benefits will continue to be extended for 24 to 36 additional months. A shorter renewal time instills a sense of urgency to re-engage.

I'm a little disappointed that President Obama didn't have a complete strategy to present and that he wants funding to be intertwined with the Congressional deficit reduction effort. Also, I don't trust any plan that spends an additional $400Billion today and proposes cuts in 10 years - especially when the President is attempting to change the agreed upon structure and task of the debt reduction committee before their first meeting.

If anything, I think President Obama just opened the door for Mitt Romney's plan to be considered as an alternative.

7. Sep 9, 2011 #6

mheslep

Gold Member

It is not the job of the US federal government to renew education or revitalize 'workers'. However, the federal government can and has created impediments to both.

8. Sep 9, 2011 #7

mheslep

Gold Member

Where would you have the government get the money to take said step?

9. Sep 9, 2011 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does it mean to "renew education" and "revitalize workers"?

10. Sep 9, 2011 #9
    We can start by lowering the Corporate tax rate and get the big corporations paying taxes in this country again.

Even when they off shore their headquarters they still pay taxes. There is a town in Switzerland named Zug. They have dozens of American corporation with headquarters registered there. Many of them are simply a store front or just a mail box.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/25/60minutes/main20046867.shtml

We cant afford to stimulate the economies of other countries.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  11. Sep 9, 2011 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So then it is your position that we should have the lowest tax rates in the world? Surely the same problem will exist if there is ANY place to go that has lower rates than ours. Given that places like the Cayman Islands have no taxes, it seems that we need to eliminate all taxes in order to capture lost corporate taxes.

And what about labor laws, environmental laws, product safety, OSHA, the USDA, and the FDA? These are all thorns in the side of industry. By the logic of the tax argument referenced, shouldn't these be eliminated as well? Shouldn't we do whatever it takes to entice industry?

12. Sep 9, 2011 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What else can be done given the state of the economy and our level of debt? It's a catch 22. I doubt that anyone thinks it's a good option or even an acceptable option. What I do seem to see is that it's our only practical option.

We have to bet the economy will get better, right? Are we going to bet that America fails. And if so, if we are going to bet that we don't make it, then what does it matter anyway - borrow as fast as we can and break out the booze!

13. Sep 9, 2011 #12
    WOW you sure added your own elaborate opinion to a simple idea. I would rather see the 20% in taxes that is going to Switzerland go to America. Thats about it.

We simply can't go on the way we are.

14. Sep 9, 2011 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Here's Obama's fact sheet on it: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/09/08/fact-sheet-american-jobs-act

Here's my problem with it:
    So he is going to spend a bunch more money, while simultaneously saying he'll tell us how we should pay for it in a few days (hasn't he been working on this plan for a month?), but also says he wants the deficit committee to figure it out. What if what he comes up with in a few days is something the deficit committee also would have come up with? Even assuming he comes up with viable ideas, he's making their job harder by taking options away from them.

Six weeks. That's all it took for Obama to push us in the opposite direction of the debt deal. And he wants us to believe it's the Republicans who are negotiating in bad faith? This is exactly like what happened to Reagan and exactly why Tea Party Republicans were so uncompromising on taxes. Cutting spending is hard. Increasing spending is easy. Increasing spending immediately after agreeing to cut spending is a broken promise. That's why instead of an agreement to raise taxes now and maybe cut spending later if we can figure out how, possibly, maybe we needed a no-compromise position on taxes. Obama needs to put forward a plan to cut spending now and maybe we can talk about raising taxes after that's done, possibly, maybe.

Obama is great at specific plans to spend more. Not so good at plans to spend less (I seem to remember someone starting a thread on that....).

15. Sep 9, 2011 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And what about all of those places that have a lower tax rate or none at all. Why is Switzerland the unique target?

I wasn't adding my own ideas, I was extending the logic.

16. Sep 9, 2011 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's right, because right now is not the time to spend less. Now is the time for stimulus spending in spite of the debt. We have no choice. We need to wait until the economy regains strength. Drastic spending cuts right now could make things worse.

Would you have voted against the bank bailouts were you in Congress at the time?

17. Sep 9, 2011 #16
    The town in Switzerland was the (unique) target only because that is the one covered in the link provided. ??

18. Sep 9, 2011 #17
    Why?

Why?

We always have a choice.

Thanks for answering that one! I don't agree with your answer, though.

I would have, yes. Bailouts, emergency relief, and declaration of disaster areas tend to reinforce irresponsible behavior, which in turn leads to even more neediness in the future. On the other hand, reinforcement of the idea that "you're on your own, so don't build on flood plains (or if you do, use stilts), build to withstand hurricanes, and if you put your money into a bank, be sure to research it first" tends to reinforce caution and self-reliance.

Scrubbing rotten tissue from a wound hurts and seems to makes things worse, but only temporarily. Unburdened of the rotten tissue, the wound heals as healthy tissue grows. Spending cuts are little different. Whatever they may hurt is rotten tissue, and healthy tissue can't take its place until the rotten tissue is excised.

I'm with Russ Waters on this one.

19. Sep 9, 2011 #18
    Here is a simple jobs idea- right now infrastructure in the US is horrible. Operator error somehow knocked out power for more than 12 hours to millions of people between Yuma, AZ and Tijuana, Mexico just yesterday. Everyone agrees our infrastructure has to be replaced eventually.

Also, right now, borrowing costs for the government are at an all time low. People are lining up to loan money to the government AT A LOSS. ITS CHEAPER TO BORROW MONEY THAN PAY CASH.

So, we have to replace infrastructure eventually, and its cheapest to do it RIGHT NOW. Thats good policy just on the face of it. As a side effect, guess what, people get put to work.

20. Sep 9, 2011 #19
    Are you certain the blackout was due to infrastructure problems - the news reports I heard blamed operator error.

21. Sep 9, 2011 #20
    If one operator mistake can kill power from Yuma to Tijuana, its an infrastructure problem. A functioning system isolates the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook