Jobs that don't require too much experience, and teach a lot?

  • Thread starter Thread starter saikyou
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Experience Jobs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
saikyou
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm not currently working in science but I have a physics degree. So far I've worked in computer tech support, biology research and (currently) teaching English in a foreign country. I'm looking to eventually go back to school and pursue a science career but since most of the deadlines are past, I'm probably going to have to wait at least a year and a half.

So, in the meantime I'm wondering what kind of jobs would be good for someone like me who has the background but no experience? Something scientific or at least technical, where I would get valuable training and that would be helpful for grad school, or at least getting me in. It seems like a lot of people would get these kinds of jobs either during or right after college; I'm now 5 years removed from graduation but my skills are pretty much comparable to a college student.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Entry level technical jobs at an engineering or technology firm would require little experience, but could provide an opportunity to learn a lot. The learning part is up to the individual.

Usually, when one obtains the first job out of school, the employer is looking for ability/capability based on one's academic achievements. If I'm interviewing an undergrad looking for a job, beyond the academic background, I look for someone who has an idea about the technololgy and industry beyond what is taught in the classroom. I want someone who is familiar with the industry and the critical technical issues. Such information comes from reading scientific and technical journals, and the trade press.

Since my company does a lot in the area of modeling and simulation, then skill in programming and numerical methods are strongly desired.
 
Yes, that's just the kind of job that I would love to get, especially if I could get training and experience in programming (as it is I only have a little). What is a good way to find those kinds of positions - there has to be some better way than cruising careerbuilder.com...? I plan to talk with my university's career placement service, but perhaps there are some good methods that I can try as an individual.
 
Look out for computer tech support jobs in academic environments. Then learn programming & other skills on the job... Non-academic environments might be OK for this as well, and might pay better. But you'll probably have more time & freedom & opportunity to learn stuff in an academic environment... In the UK I'd recommend looking on jobs.ac.uk. Not sure if there is similar for US - Google "University IT jobs" for starters...

While looking for a job, why not teach yourself programming? If you fancy learning OOP (and you should!) then try:

http://squeakbyexample.org/